Help! My girlfriend is going to make a HUGE mistake!

jen_jen_heartbroken

jen_jen_heartbroken

My friend gave me quite a shock the other day. She sent me an email saying that she's engaged to some guy she's been seeing for less than a couple of weeks and that they are marrying in August! :eek:

It's been about a week since she's told me this and I still have yet to meet him (probably because they are spending every waking moment together).

I sent her an email telling her to slow down and take it easy. She is younger than I am (I'm 31, she's 24) and she is a bit impulsive. She usually falls head over heels for a guy way too fast into a new relationship. And let's just say that her track record for picking decent guys isn't exactly good.

My friend is bright, talented and very kind, but she usually picks losers with a lot of baggage. I'm so afraid that she has gone off the deep end with this guy and is headed straight for heartbreak.

When I talked to her about it, she asked me why I can't just be happy for her. I told her that I am happy when she is happy, but that I'm afraid she's got her rose-colored glasses on again, and is pushing things way to fast with a guy she hardly knows. I told her that I love her and only want the best for her.

So next week I'm supposed to have dinner with them, and I'm concerned about how I'm going to react to this guy. I know that I should keep an open mind, but I already have my reservations about a guy who would be just as impulsive as my friend. She needs to be with someone more level-headed. I don't want to hurt my friend with my reaction, but I am afraid that I won't know what to say. What do I say to them to convince them to slow down and take their time without offending or hurting anyone.

Any thoughts?

HotCaliGirl

Remember that we all learn from our mistakes. How would you feel if your friend actually takes your advice and doesn't marry him...then down the line she'll always think "what if things had worked out good had I not listened to my friend and married him." She might start thinking that way especially after she goes through another bad breakup with another guy...

I'm sure you've made decisions in the past that maybe your mom or friend told you not to do but you knew you would anyways and were upset for not getting support... You should be polite to both of them at dinner, get to know her boyfriend who might be a good guy, and voice your concerns to her without his presence if you still feel strongly that she is doing the wrong thing, and then be supportive of her choice since you are her friend and not her decision maker.