Turning an ex into a friend

chinadiary

Have any of you ever successfully turned an ex into a friend?

I never have. My 1st and 2nd exes I want nothing to do with. No sight, sound or links. My most recent ex however, I wonder.

I'll need to leave it a while, 6 months, a year, depending on my feelings, but maybe eventually? I enjoyed his company and to be honest, the end of our relationship was as much my fault as his. I'm hurt and angry now, but that will fade.

He didn't want us to break contact, I've done it to help myself heal.

I know people who manage this all the time and find it odd that I just wipe people out. What do you guys think?

todreaminblue

i have exes who are friends...i cant hold grudges...not even if i wanted to ...makes me ill.....deb

• Like 2

Yes, I have two exes of mine who I am friends with. One is from my high school days we had a LTR for 3 years. We don't talk that much with each others just happen that we have some common friends from high school that I meet up once a year or so and he usually shows up. So we are more acquaintance with each others than actually friends.

The other ex is one from 4 years ago, we only had a relationship for like 6 month before I moved abroad. So the shortest relationship I ever had. We have started hanging out a lot the past months since I moved back. We are in the same industry and tend to run into each others a couple of times a month. And yes we are just friends, no love interest whatsoever in each others. We also have alot of friends in common. So in both cases I think it's mostly due to the common circle of friends. And yes, both relationships ended with having a grudge towards each others, but it's not there anymore.

I did, twice.

The first boyfriend and I had a year long relationship, in 2014. The feelings kind of faded away and we realized that although we no longer wanted to date, we still had a lot in common and enjoyed each other's company. There was no dramatic falling out, we just kind of ended it and decided to be friends. I'm still friends with him, although since then I've gone on to date other people, and so has he.

The second boyfriend I lost touch with after he moved back to his home country. The third boyfriend also became a friend. It was the same thing- no dramatic falling out, we just decided we no longer wanted a relationship with each other but still enjoyed spending time together. The fourth boyfriend and I did have a dramatic falling out, and I don't speak to him or see him, and wouldn't want to.

I think it depends on whether or not there were lots of intense feelings, or whether or not you were dumped and had feelings for him while his faded, etc. For me, the relationship just fizzled out and there was no bitterness on anyone's side.