LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Friendship

What's a good way to branch out and become more social?

Friendship Having issues with a friend? Get it off your chest!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th October 2017, 4:45 PM   #16
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRogue View Post
Sorry, but what do you think of what I listed recently?

What did you list recently?

I think you are trying too hard. It's college, right? So if you see a group of people on your dorm floor you talk to them. In class you ask somebody to borrow notes or studying. You be the one to say you're hungry does anybody want to do to the dining hall or go grab a pizza. Walk down the floor with a Frisbee or hackey sack to see if anybody wants to play.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2017, 7:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0nnivain View Post
What did you list recently?

I think you are trying too hard. It's college, right? So if you see a group of people on your dorm floor you talk to them. In class you ask somebody to borrow notes or studying. You be the one to say you're hungry does anybody want to do to the dining hall or go grab a pizza. Walk down the floor with a Frisbee or hackey sack to see if anybody wants to play.
Here:
I see but there's something that's been on my mind for a bit. As I said, these people are pretty busy doing things with their own group and they have plans, so I'm a little hesitant to ask for a hangout as I feel like they could be a bit busy. For example, I asked one friend at one time, but he already had plans but said we could work something out later. It was like two weeks ago and nothing yet, so I guess I should be the initiator then, but I'm still a little concerned I might be forgotten. Should I ask again?

Also, I'm not on dorm
NightRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2017, 6:15 AM   #18
Established Member

Where are you if not a dorm? Do you have house mates? What about people on the hall in your apartment? Do you see folks in the student union? My point is -- it's college. There are people everywhere. Have you tried joining a club or organization?
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2017, 11:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0nnivain View Post
Where are you if not a dorm? Do you have house mates? What about people on the hall in your apartment? Do you see folks in the student union? My point is -- it's college. There are people everywhere. Have you tried joining a club or organization?
I did join a fencing club last week ,but for the time being, I was asking about this certain friend just to clarify.
Old 5th October 2017, 1:46 PM   #20
Established Member

That's great you joined the fencing club! I think you'll develop a core friend group with them. In regards to that certain friend, next time you have something to do or plans just invite them to join you again. "Hey ****, I'm going to ****, hit me up if you want to join." I was also introverted like you in college. I think what helped me the most was joining clubs, playing intramural (join as a free agent, teams are always looking for more players), and getting a job on campus. Also developing a routine, for example I always went to a coffee shop and gym at a certain time and I started to get to know others who were there at that time too. Also if you develop the mindset that "you're going to do what you want when you want and others can join if they desire", I think you'll feel less lonely and feel less pressure to have plans with others. Like the people above have said, invite others to join you and it won't feel like you're being clingy. If someone turns down your invite so many times then just don't invite them anymore but don't take it personally, it's college and some people are very busy.
Gillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2017, 1:52 PM   #21
Established Member

I think you should invite someone else in that group and not just the person who was too busy. If someone hangs up the phone, just call someone else up. There is always someone who is alone and wants to find people to hang out with too. Don't feel clingy if you want to hang with others. People are, for the most part, social beings.
newlywedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2017, 11:51 PM   #22

So I should still reach out to this friend?