LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Friendship

Ex's mother keeps texting me - can't make sense of my feelings about it

Friendship Having issues with a friend? Get it off your chest!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Nowty V
  • 1 Post By Whodatdog
  • 2 Post By preraph
  • 1 Post By preraph
  • 1 Post By coolheadal
  • 1 Post By bluefeather
  • 1 Post By Popsicle
  • 1 Post By preraph

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th August 2017, 2:38 AM   #1
Established Member

Ex's mother keeps texting me - can't make sense of my feelings about it

I need some armchair psychologist help. So, I broke up with my ex-bf 5 months ago and it was kind of a bad break up and we haven't spoken a word to each other since. Since then, his mother, who I never texted with while we were together (although she tried) texts me about once a month asking to meet up to catch up. I do not text this woman first, she texts me and she's always real nice but I must admit that it confuses me. I wonder why is she still in contact with me and wants to see me when it's over between her son and I and more importantly, he does not know that her and I still talk. She is scared to tell him because he will get mad at her. I have agreed to see her when she asks (we have breakfast or lunch together) and responded to her texts up to this point because for the first few months, I figured either he or she was secretly trying to get us back together, which I at least wanted to know about, but that is NOT the case. She's not doing that. I am completely baffled as to why she wants to keep talking. She has texted me again today. It always shocks me when I receive these because I convince myself that she's done. I truly think she's just needy. Any insights?

Last edited by Popsicle; 19th August 2017 at 2:42 AM..
Popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 5:06 AM   #2
Established Member

Hey :)

That's weird.

Whatever her motivation is, if her overtures are not to your liking, there does not seem to be an easy way to the nearest exit.

She may want you as a friend.
Popsicle likes this.
Old 19th August 2017, 9:40 AM   #3
Established Member

Maybe she's just lonely. If you consider it weird, just make excuses that you cant go. Hopefully she will stop contacting you.
Popsicle likes this.
Whodatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 12:37 PM   #4
Established Member

As you must know, a whole lot of mothers these days are trying to live through their kids and their friends and be friends with their kids' friends because somewhere along the line they abandoned all their old friends and have no one left. If you don't want to go, then just don't. It's improper for her to do this.
Old 19th August 2017, 3:53 PM   #5
Established Member

Yeah I think she's bored, lonely and needy. The funny thing is, she has tons of friends, not sure why she needs me, and is super extroverted. She always has people around her, including her 2 sons who she sees every single day.
Old 19th August 2017, 6:29 PM   #6
Established Member

Because she likes to believe she is still young and hip. It's validation for her.
Popsicle likes this.
preraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 6:59 PM   #7
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsicle View Post
I need some armchair psychologist help. So, I broke up with my ex-bf 5 months ago and it was kind of a bad break up and we haven't spoken a word to each other since. Since then, his mother, who I never texted with while we were together (although she tried) texts me about once a month asking to meet up to catch up. I do not text this woman first, she texts me and she's always real nice but I must admit that it confuses me. I wonder why is she still in contact with me and wants to see me when it's over between her son and I and more importantly, he does not know that her and I still talk. She is scared to tell him because he will get mad at her. I have agreed to see her when she asks (we have breakfast or lunch together) and responded to her texts up to this point because for the first few months, I figured either he or she was secretly trying to get us back together, which I at least wanted to know about, but that is NOT the case. She's not doing that. I am completely baffled as to why she wants to keep talking. She has texted me again today. It always shocks me when I receive these because I convince myself that she's done. I truly think she's just needy. Any insights?
Tell me about the relationship you had with the BF and his mom. You must have left a positive impression with her and him. Though you have not spoken to him about what? What happen to you two? Why did his mom try to communicate with you still? Is her son still waiting on your return? What is his status? Do you talk about him with his mom? Something your doing is causing her to text you. What does her text say? I take it you haven't found another guy yet? Do you have any kids with him Pop? Or are their from a prior relationship?
Popsicle likes this.
Age doesn't matter, but Love does matter! Which love it's the magical one "I love you" also I am in love with you" More powerful than anyone age! If you really love that person you are so interested in you would move heavens and mountains to reach them!'
coolheadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 3:31 AM   #8
Established Member

I do not have kids with him, we only dated for 1 year. I do not initiate texts with her but when we have met up, she brings him up (briefly) to tell me that he's doing good and is not dating.

After discussing this with my wise old friend, this is what I think is happening. I think he is NOT doing good and his mom knows it but she is so needy, she is not strong enough to be tough with him. He's not really happy with his place in life and has made mistakes and I think his mom sees me as the best thing that's ever happened to him and she sort of holds onto me as a life vest for him. She is co-dependent and it's just weird and I wanted out of the whole thing. Admittedly I do miss him in certain ways (something she must know) but I know it could never work. My friend said she only texts me because she wants me back with her son. Well, I say talk to your son, not me, and straighten him out.
Old 20th August 2017, 5:06 AM   #9
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
I would have told her that we couldn't talk anymore the first time she texted after the breakup... Unless you are keeping in contact with her because there is a chance you still might be interested in reconciliation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsicle View Post
he does not know that her and I still talk.
If a parent of mine was talking to one of my exes behind my back, that would be very upsetting.
Popsicle likes this.
bluefeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 9:32 AM   #10
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefeather View Post
I would have told her that we couldn't talk anymore the first time she texted after the breakup... Unless you are keeping in contact with her because there is a chance you still might be interested in reconciliation.
Maybe. If he gets better.

Quote:
If a parent of mine was talking to one of my exes behind my back, that would be very upsetting.
I know, and she is scared. She has lied to him and told him that she's meeting up with an old friend when he asks where she's going. She keeps inviting me to family dinners and telling me to just show up like "oh look who just popped in!". I'm like no way I'm not doing that. It's all so weird.
Old 20th August 2017, 12:12 PM   #11
Established Member

She's just wanting you to take him off her hands, pure and simple. You need to block her. This is not her just being friends with you. She's thinking of herself and so should you.
Popsicle likes this.
preraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 12:19 PM   #12
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preraph View Post
She's just wanting you to take him off her hands, pure and simple. You need to block her. This is not her just being friends with you. She's thinking of herself and so should you.
I think you're right. I remember her once complaining to me about him, "I just wish I had some help" (with him). But at the same time, she can't be without him! She would die.
Old Today, 2:40 AM   #13
Established Member

Just a little update: Mom still texts me. Ex-bf still doesn't know. She informed me that he dated someone else for a month this past summer, but she didn't like the girl and didn't want to know her. It's over between them and mom is still texting me. I still don't get it. Very strange family.