LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Friendship

Friend constantly critisizes my career choice

Friendship Having issues with a friend? Get it off your chest!

Old 13th July 2017, 12:10 PM   #1

Friend constantly critisizes my career choice

I am currently out of work, as a result of my company going bust, but I work in Advertising and my friend completely hates that. He's the type to go on an hour long diatribe about how consumerism is ruining society, and that I am contributing to it. I don't want to push him out, but he's starting to get on my nerves, he belittled me in front of a couple of girls by making me look like some sort of corporate shark and has even belittled me in front of my co-workers. What would you do in this situation?
alec007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 12:19 PM   #2
Established Member

Tell him the criticism is a problem and it's affecting your friendship.

He can then choose if he wants to respect you and your decision or cease to be your friend.

Don't apologize or feel bad about expecting your friends to treat you well. Or removing them from your life if they don't.

All relationships should have healthy boundaries. And consequences for disregarding those boundaries.
MidKnightDreams is offline   Reply With Quote