Uninvited to event

steve_king

Back last year a female friend (platonic) invited me to a concert along with other platonic friends; I said yes and paid her for my ticket as it's one of my fave bands. She booked the seats, in one of the most expensive rows in the house and all together. I was cool with that.

The event is just a few weeks away so I asked what the arrangements were for transport etc..etc. only to find that she has given my ticket away to her new boyfriend.

She's offered to give my money back or buy me a ticket elsewhere in the venue and doesn't see an issue with this, i.e away from everyone else and on my own. I don't know when I would have been told had I not asked. I'm p1ssed off!

Am I right to be annoyed? A big part of me simply wants to 'de-friend' this person and move on, but we have been friends for ages. A smaller part of me thinks I should be an adult, suck it up and continue as if it's not a problem.

What should I do?

Tell her to give you your money back right now. That wasn't the agreement. You paid for the good tickets. Tell her to give it back. Then check for a single ticket because many times you can buy a good single ticket since most people want to sit in multiples of people. I'd be red hot too.

• Like 1

I'd be furious & that friendship would be OVER!

I know very little about concerts but I'd follow preraph's advice because she is a big music fan & very knowledgeable.

• Like 3

I would be pissed off too. Don't just suck it up as if you have no problem with it. Hopefully you can reason with her and make her realize that it was an unfair thing to do.

Do you have any other friends who would like to purchase her expensive ticket? Then she and her boyfriend can purchase new tickets together.

I would tell her, "I feel betrayed and taken advantage of. I paid you money for a ticket and you gave it to someone else without even having a conversation with me. Your suggestion that I repurchase another ticket and attend the event essentially alone is not a satisfying resolution. I would like for you to stick to our original agreement and give me the ticket that I paid for. Our friendship is important to me and I really hope that we can resolve this and have a nice time at this concert we've all been looking forward to."

And then once you have your ticket in your hand, probably take a few steps back from this friendship because that was an awful thing of her to try to do.

• Like 2

Oh that would make me super mad. How selfish and inconsiderate of her to just give your ticket away to her boyfriend and then offer to buy some cheap ticket where you will be by yourself. I think expecting you to happily attend alone is more offensive than the downgrade to a cheaper seat. Who treats a friend like that.

I wouldn't let it slide. If you don't want to end the friendship then tell her how you feel and how unacceptable it is for her to treat a friend that way. If she gives you a sincere apology and shows that she understands her error and why it was wrong you might want to consider forgiving her but if she becomes angry and defensive or tries to turn it back on you by saying you are overreacting and making a big deal over nothing then you should probably ditch her. Who needs inconsiderate friends?

• Like 2

What a downright nasty thing for someone to do! If there are several friends who she booked tickets for, why has she chosen to give away YOUR ticket? Why not someone else's ticket? Maybe you're not such good friends as you might have thought. You were obviously the most disposable of the group. Also I find it mean that she didn't even bother to tell you she had given your ticket away. She obviously couldn't care less about you not attending with the rest of the group.

Personally I wouldn't bother continuing to be friends with someone who showed such blatant disregard for me and my feelings. Also I'd make sure that everyone else in the group knows what she's done, why you're not attending and how upset you are. If it turns out that they all know about it and haven't objected, I'd reconsider my friendship with them too.

• Like 2
whichwayisup

Tell her that you're hurt by this and it's a pretty shi.tty thing to do to a friend.

Hopefully she'll apologize, though if someone did that to me I'd spend less time with them and put some distance there..

• Like 1
  • Author
steve_king

Cheers guys..

Bizarre as it sounds I was pissed off to the point that I thought I must be misreading something somewhere, if that makes sense? It just didn't seem 'real'.

I'll sit it out and see if an apology or explanation or change of mind is forthcoming over the next week or so. If not, I'll demand one after the event!