should i apologize to a friend who i wronged?

small_hand_of_power

small_hand_of_power

a little over two years ago i made the single biggest mistake of my life, i had began dating my friends ex girlfriend. this has caused me, and continues to cause me so many problems i cant even begin to explain. i still feel reverberations from it even though that girl and i broke up 10 months ago.

i have talked to him once since the girl and I broke up. I asked him if he still hated me and he said "no I don't care anymore" were friends on facebook now, but thats it.

i am debating apologizing to him and admitting to how much of a huge ****ing mistake i made.

I think it kind of depends on how serious your friend was about this girl, and if you two were close friends. If he was just casually dating her, he really might not care anymore. But it's different if they were in a relationship, maybe he even used to talk to you about her.

Also, waiting over two years to apologize is a very long time... You could always try, but your friend might be done with you, if you want to have a "real" friendship with him again anyway. He could be thinking you're only coming back now because you broke up with his ex. You were dating her for over a year after all.

• Author
small_hand_of_power
I think it kind of depends on how serious your friend was about this girl, and if you two were close friends. If he was just casually dating her, he really might not care anymore. But it's different if they were in a relationship, maybe he even used to talk to you about her.

Also, waiting over two years to apologize is a very long time... You could always try, but your friend might be done with you, if you want to have a "real" friendship with him again anyway. He could be thinking you're only coming back now because you broke up with his ex. You were dating her for over a year after all.

we were close friends. they seriously dated for over 2 years. ive apologized to almost everyone in this situation except him. its not even about becoming friends with him again, it would be nice but i mean i have accepted that they're gone from my life.

I think it would be best to apologize but with no expectations of continuing the friendship. But only if you're really sorry, because if you'd do something similar again and he would refriend you, then you'd just hurt him again. No one likes it when a friend goes after someone they dated. And yes the waves from that will always be reverberating because it affects a lot of people's opinion of you and likely caused some loyalty among friends problems and made people lose a friend or two.

• Like 2
i am debating apologizing to him and admitting to how much of a huge ****ing mistake i made.

Of course you need to apologize to him, if that's in your heart to do! In that case, it ought not even be a question.

And, as well, if you haven't already done so, forgive yourself for that mistake - it sounds like you've learned from having made it in the first place, and that's the most important thing.

Best of luck.