what to say upon hearing about cancer diagnosis

Ugh. So devastated.

Just learned that my friend's daughter in law was diagnosed with cancer. She has 3 small children.

I hugged my friend, let her cry on my shoulder & said we're all just gonna learn all there is about this & we'll rally together to do what's needed.

Is there anything else that can be done, besides pray?

• Author

I called a friend who is a nurse. She reminded me that another friend's husband is an oncologist so I have a call into him for a referral.

• Like 1
whichwayisup
Ugh. So devastated.

Just learned that my friend's daughter in law was diagnosed with cancer. She has 3 small children.

I hugged my friend, let her cry on my shoulder & said we're all just gonna learn all there is about this & we'll rally together to do what's needed.

Is there anything else that can be done, besides pray?

Make meals for the family, even suggest to help organize a daily dinner meal plan - that includes a rotating schedule with some of their neighbours and their friends/other family. We did this for one of our close friends who were suffering through something similar as your friends DIL is. It makes life so much easier and one less thing for their family to think about. (Do the dinners and a prepared or made dessert too).

My thoughts and prayers are with your friend's DIL and her family, and to those little kids of hers. How awful. I hope she fights this cancer hard and beats it!

• Like 2

Guys are probably different. I've had a number of friends, including my best friend, dx'd with cancer and a couple have died. I usually do the 'fµck cancer, let's get a beer' to break the ice and then we talk about stuff later. There are a lot of cancer survivor stories in my social circle, both men and women, so the rest is a matter of being a supportive friend. Men, of my generation and social circle, tend to define support in their own way so I go with that.

Make meals for the family, even suggest to help organize a daily dinner meal plan - that includes a rotating schedule with some of their neighbours and their friends/other family. We did this for one of our close friends who were suffering through something similar as your friends DIL is. It makes life so much easier and one less thing for their family to think about. (Do the dinners and a prepared or made dessert too).

My thoughts and prayers are with your friend's DIL and her family, and to those little kids of hers. How awful. I hope she fights this cancer hard and beats it!

One of my tennis partners was just diagnosed. Our whole team chipped in and purchased a really nice meal delivery service for her and her family for the next three months while she goes through surgery and chemotherapy.

That, offering support, visiting her in the hospital to cheer her up when she had her surgery, suggesting various resources, and just being there to reassure her and her husband, are some of the things I've done for her.