Name calling

MsJayne

What do people think of friends, (who are the same age as you or younger), calling you names such as "Darl', or "Precious", or "Sweetie"? Would you tell them to lay off and use your name, or would you just tolerate it but secretly think the person is a pain, or would it not bother you?

I'd love it if any girlfriends did it (I'm female) and if guys did it, I'd assume they were gay and I'd love it twice. But then I'm an Ab Fab fan, Sweetie Darling.

I don't think I have been called sweetie or darling once in my life!:lmao:

But perhaps that is because I could never be confused with a sweetie or a darling.

I noticed you are "Ms Jayne" do you hail from the south by chance?

I have some male friends that will use terms of endearment, doesn't bother me. It's more along the lines of "what's up love? How are you doing?"

One of my old girlfriends always calls me a variety of pet names and then my old friend who is my local best friend does the Sweetie Darling from time to time.

One of the guys I was in love with who I had a complicated relationship with, not at all easy to peg, would from time to time call me Dahlink and Babushka, and I called him Igor when we were in this mode.

Edited by preraph
todreaminblue

my ex called my cat precious...because my cat reminded him of gollum....precious ate a frog before being deballed and so threw up everywhere......so called him my precious...after gollum from lord of the rings.....

everytime someone says precious i think of my frog eating cat...or gollum..makes me smile.....i dont mind sweetie....i get called darl and it rubs off on me....and i start saying it....

terms of endearment..are ok unless its honey or hun..not a fan.....the only people who dont call me deb or deborah or debbie are normally intimate partners.....and even then ...its often debs.....

I would find it peculiar. The only times I've been referred to in that manner were in greasy diners off the highway.

...and maybe at a strip club.

• Like 1
  • Author
I would find it peculiar. The only times I've been referred to in that manner were in greasy diners off the highway.

...and maybe at a strip club.

Hmm, yeah, I kinda associate it with boganism, (Aussie version of US redneckism or UK chavism). It doesn't bother me if it's my grandma saying it, but when it's my friends I cringe with embarrassment. There's something terribly grating about an Aussie accent saying, "Darl".

• Author

I noticed you are "Ms Jayne" do you hail from the south by chance?

No, I'm in Queensland , Australia.