Friend stealing and social media

Hopeful714

As a woman of 50 I feel stupid writing this.

I have several friends from different circles. Some from childhood, high school, work, and other random places. On occasion, I may take a friend from one circle to an event with friends from another circle.

Last time this happened, I had learned that the friends from the 2 different circles were friending each other on Facebook and even possibly making plans to do things. I'm not on social media so I'm not 100% sure of this but I'm sensing it's happening and also sensing no one is telling me, not that it's really any of my business.

I'm finding this odd that all of a sudden my childhood friend is contacting my work friend as well as my workout friend. And that my workout friend is now going places with my high school friend.

I guess I like to keep my circle of friends separate and feel like these are all friendships I cultivated over MY lifetime therefore the friendship loyalty should be to me.

Now I've been introduced to my friends friends on occasion and I'd consider them acquaintances and enjoyed their company but I would never go and contact these people on my own because I feel it's not really proper to do so.

In addition I may share some confidences with some of my friends and not others and now I feel like I can't do that anymore because all I say my be relayed throughout this whole group somehow. So now I have no one to confide in.

What do you all think of this? Am I right to be bothered by it? I know I can't say anything or I know id look like an idiot. But would you mind if this happened to you? I think the whole thing is weird.

• Like 1
todreaminblue

Personally I wouldn't do it......but my concerns are to maintain the friendships i have with people....i keep my friendship lists private not because i want to keep my friends separate but because i don't want individuals i may have pissed off in the past to get to me or my family through my friends.... someone in my friends list has added my friends and family and that i dont mind..as longas the reasons arent ulterior or nefarious......if my friends become friends with each other that would actually make me happy.......deb