Friend's Dad has Cancer

Cfgrace

My close friend's dad has cancer. He's been going through treatment for about two years. She got married back in August and it was a beautiful blessing that he was well enough at the time to travel from MN to Chicago for the wedding to walk her down the aisle. Since the wedding though his condition has drastically declined and earlier this month the doctor's found a tumor in his frontal lobe so his condition has become even more serious than before.

About a year ago my friends all chipped in and gave her $500 in gas gift cards since she was often driving back and forth between Chicago and Minnesota where her parents live to spend quality time with her dad.

I'm wondering if anyone has ideas of anything else meaningful that myself and our friend group can do to help support her and her family during this difficult time. She knows we're all her for her and that her family is in our prayers, but of course, I wish there was more we could do for them.

Any suggestions welcome!

• Like 3

Just keep doing what you're doing by being supportive. You've done your part as a friend and you said she knows youre there for her. Continue to provide emotional support.. Sometimes that is worth more than money.

• Like 1

You sound like a good friend but I think the best person to pose your question too might be your friend herself. Since we don't know your friend or her family or the ways they are being impacted by the dads illness it would be hard for us to make helpful suggestions. For example I would have never thought of a brilliant gift like gas gift cards because I wouldn't be aware of the distance they have to travel, but you and your friends knew this info and so you were able to give them a really thoughtful and useful gift.

Try asking your friend what you can do to ease the burden on her and her family. Perhaps they would appreciate help with outside chores, like snow removal (if snow is a thing in MN. Sorry I'm Canadian so I don't know the weather in different states, lol.) or maybe bringing a home cooked meal or maybe just offer to accopmpany her on one of her drives to Chicago just to keep her company and to let her see your that your support is a real and tangible thing. Tell her you want to help and ask her what she needs.

• Like 1

My mom for the last year, was battling leukemia. It was a very difficult time and having supportive friends meant the world to me.

Little things my friends did that helped me was, after a long day at the hospital with my mom they made meals for me and my kids. Or they came over and took care of the house so I could be at the hospital with my mom (dishes, light cleaning, watching my kids).

Just being there for your friend to lean on, and cry to, is a huge help believe me! It sounds like you are being a great friend so far. Continue to be that support for her.

• Like 1
Cookiesandough

That's so heartbreaking. I'm sorry. I think you're doing a great job with what you're doing. Just knowing is supportive and cares makes a world of difference.