How would you deal with a friend suddenly reappearing after a year?

Lovezen_30

I've been friends with this guy for a long time and we grew up together. There was a short period of romance between us when we were 16 but it has been Platonic since then. Over the years we have befriended eachothers new partners (although his girlfriends always seemed jealous of me - even when I only saw him once or twice a year!). We have also seen each other through some pretty eough times.

When I moved abroad he was going thorugh a hard time, so I put him up for a while and then he returned home. When I also moved back to our hometown several months later he asked to meet up - he cancelled on me 4 times before he finally just never replied again. That was almost a year ago and he now just contacted me joking 'It will be 2017 before we catch up ;)'.

Not even an apology! Don't get me wrong, I have missed him, but this has been a difficult year for me at times and where has he been? Not only that, but the transition of moving home was difficult for me - all the time he lived no more than 10 mins away. Would you even respond to this message in my shoes?

Save

Save

I've been friends with this guy for a long time and we grew up together. There was a short period of romance between us when we were 16 but it has been Platonic since then. Over the years we have befriended eachothers new partners (although his girlfriends always seemed jealous of me - even when I only saw him once or twice a year!). We have also seen each other through some pretty eough times.

When I moved abroad he was going thorugh a hard time, so I put him up for a while and then he returned home. When I also moved back to our hometown several months later he asked to meet up - he cancelled on me 4 times before he finally just never replied again. That was almost a year ago and he now just contacted me joking 'It will be 2017 before we catch up ;)'.

Not even an apology! Don't get me wrong, I have missed him, but this has been a difficult year for me at times and where has he been? Not only that, but the transition of moving home was difficult for me - all the time he lived no more than 10 mins away. Would you even respond to this message in my shoes?

Save

Save

i'd tell him, ya, catch this.

he's got some explaining to do, if you want to hear it.

he has to explain why he treats you so disrespectfully. my guess is it's because, you two are not really friends.

he's just someone you used to know.

• Like 2
  • Author

Thanks Miss Clavel :laugh:

The thing is, we were GREAT friends before he did the disappearing act. It is his disappearance that has put us in the 'somebody you used to know' bracket! I do know he got into a new relationship and I know people can disappear down the honeymoon rabbit hole. But he has kept in close contact with all of our other close friends, it's just me that was ditched?

I try my best to treat my friends as I also hope to be treated so I don't appreciate when people disappear for a long stretch and don't even apologise!

Save

Thanks Miss Clavel :laugh:

The thing is, we were GREAT friends before he did the disappearing act. It is his disappearance that has put us in the 'somebody you used to know' bracket! I do know he got into a new relationship and I know people can disappear down the honeymoon rabbit hole. But he has kept in close contact with all of our other close friends, it's just me that was ditched?

I try my best to treat my friends as I also hope to be treated so I don't appreciate when people disappear for a long stretch and don't even apologise!

Save

try thinking back. what could have happened between you that he decided to cut you off?