How to deal with a friend I no longer speak to in social situations?

xxgreen20

I am a Donald Trump supporter and openly voted for him in this year's election. I am a freshman at an extremely liberal college, and I've been a Republican for my entire life. Just last night, I went to visit one of my friends in her dorm, and as soon as she answered the door, she began crying and sat me down and told me that since I voted for Trump, I had completely betrayed her and that I had voted against her, all other girls and women, all homosexuals, and all immigrants, and that she no longer had any respect for me and that she could no longer speak to me. I knew something was wrong because as soon as I sat down at the dinner table yesterday, she took her plate and moved to a new table. As of yesterday, we are completely ignoring each other, not saying hello, not waving, nothing. We are in the same group for a project in one of our classes, and when we worked on the project with our group today, we did not make eye contact or say a word to each other unless it was related to the project. The problem is, we have a group of about 20 mutual friends in common, and it is going to be very uncomfortable all hanging out together now since the 2 of us are not speaking. The group is entirely Democrat except me, and I know that since the group is extremely diverse, they are very upset with my vote, but they are not taking quite the same actions she is. So anyway, how can I hang out with this group of friends now without letting her presence ruin it for me? Every time I am hanging out in one of their rooms and the door opens, my heart goes into my throat thinking it's her. And please, I do not want any insults for my beliefs. I do not believe that Trump is any of those things, and I am certainly not either, but that's beside the point. So no political discussion, but I just want to know how to go about this situation.

Edited by xxgreen20

Yes, there seems to be a lot of unfriending going on lately. There's probably nothing you can do except give her a wide berth and stay civil with everyone else.

• Like 2
  • Author
Yes, there seems to be a lot of unfriending going on lately. There's probably nothing you can do except give her a wide berth and stay civil with everyone else.

I never thought this would happen to me honestly. And I have to deal with her on a daily basis because we go to the same school and have the same friends.

xxgreen20,

Leave her alone to her crying, whining and emotional diatribes.

Put your energies into your education and let that speak for itself.

Good luck x

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
off topic content ~T

Seems religion and politics bring out the best and worst in people.

TRUE friends don't bail out like that. Those who do aren't tolerant of others (aka your friend) speak their mind, they dish it out but can't take it when it's thrown their way. Sounds like your friend is a bully too.

I say good riddance. Since she willing to end the friendship over this, don't try to reach out, just focus on other friends and as hard as it may be to do, fake smile and pretend all is okay when you do see her. Don't ever let her see that what she's done has upset you, it'll go to her head and she'll use it against you.

• Like 1