Do I owe an apology? WWYD?

IfonlyIknew

I need advice!

So 2 years ago I started the process of buying a house. I got in touch with an old friend from high school who is a realtor. She showed me probably 4-5 houses, took me out to lunch twice, I offered to pay but she said "No that's not how it works! I get to write off my clients meals". She put in a couple of offers but something always got in the way. I let it go for a few weeks to see if anything else would come up. I then find a house online for sale by owner, I jumped on it myself and spoke with the owner, we ended up going through with the sale between the two of us. Although this is completely legal, I felt bad for not getting back in touch with the old friend/realtor.

Now it gets tricky. I am finishing up the process to obtain my Real Estate license and interviewed with the company she works for (its huge, different office). I mentioned her name just out of conversation "I've heard great things about the company from so and so" And then it turns to "OH ill have to tell her I met you!"

I've always felt bad for "wasting her time" but now I could be working with her and I just don't want to be on the wrong foot. We haven't spoke since I told her I was going to wait on finding a house. What to do!

Worse thing I ever did was "name drop" when interviewing at a company that a former associate may have worked for. Mostly because what comes out of their mouth could make or break your job hire. All signs were a GO for my hire, then it was retracted....reason: The associate did NOT speak well of my years of experience. So my advice to you is simple, expect the worse and emphasis your SKILLS .

As for most professionals in sales they understand the market. You made an investment decision that best suited your budget and taste.

GustavoWoltmann

I'm Gustavo Woltmann, I think you should take to her and explain. Also you should tell everything that happened so that there's no hard feelings.

Good luck to you!

Invite her to lunch (you pay) and it's just a social lunch. Tell her "to catch up." And over lunch tell her, You know, I've felt bad about finding that by-owner house, because you worked so hard for me. It's just the way it happened though. I hope you're not upset about it." Don't make it a real serious thing, but just mention it and see how she takes it. If she doesn't take you up on the lunch offer, that might not be a good sign.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

I sent her a facebook message letting her know she "came up in conversation while interviewing and I couldn't help but reflect on the past and how great of a reatlor you were to me, I apologize for never getting back in touch" I tried to slide humor in saying "I hope I don't meet anyone like me!" and "i'd love to pay it forward to you" apparently it wasn't a 2nd thought, she read it and I haven't heard back. I tried.