Why is she lying?

courtney_kay

So, I became really good friends with this girl over the summer. We grew up in the same town and went to all the same schools but never knew each other until college. Anyway, we are not best friends by any means, but I do value her friendship. Since I graduated and started a full time job, I have been a lot busier and don't want to go out to the bars as much or do anything too crazy on the weeknights. I guess a lot of our friendship in college was based off of going to the bars together. Anyway, I've been trying to make an effort to catch up with her, whether it's going to coffee or dinner or whatever, so far no luck.

This past weekend she texts me on Saturday morning asking if I had any plans. I tell her I was planning to run a few errands but that was about it, and asked if she wanted to do something. Well it's been several hours and she hasn't texted back, so I double text her asking what's up. She responds saying something along the lines of she was busy studying for school. She then said that she was going to see if I wanted to go to this fall festival with her, but that she forgot that she told her family she would go to this town nearby with them (there are a lot of wineries there and the are having Oktoberfest right now). Anyway, I tell her to have fun and that I'm jealous because I LOVE to visit that town because I love wine/wineries.

I didn't think much of it until I get on Facebook, and see that she's been tagged in a photo, and surprise surprise, she is not with her family. She is with her best friend, who I also am really good friends with, and this other guy who she recently became friends with.

I feel kind of petty for being upset about this, but why lie and say you are going with your family if you know that I am going to see all the posts you put up on Facebook and Snapchat? This isn't the first time she has told me that she had to do things with her "family."

I have been somewhat reluctant about our friendship anyway, she is constantly very negative and argumentative about almost everything...and this seems to be the final straw. It just makes me feel really crappy that she has to lie to get out of hanging out with me. While I do have doubts about our friendship, I also have found myself feeling really lonely and isolated lately, which I guess is what is keeping me hanging on to what's left of our friendship.