Would you accept a friends request from someone..if...?

LookAtThisPOst

LookAtThisPOst

...if...you had met them at one time in your life, via a wedding party a few months back, an old college friend from 20 years ago, etc.?

I read this article, where the writer talks about how she/he at first would accept friends request from anyone that she had met in real life, albiet a one time encounter. Then it has gotten to the point where it got awkward or needless in a sense.

One person she saw at a get together with friends would ask her, "Are you on Facebook? Can I add you?"

Response, "Ummm...sure?"

Ever had someone in real life ask for your FB instead of your phone #? lol

Have you not??

If I have met someone in real life, even if it was a one time meet, I will add them if they request me. I won't necessarily add them myself, though I might, depending on the kind of connection.

I don't ask for people's numbers and I find that most people don't ask for mine either. It's FB all the way.

• Like 1

I have had people request me on FB after meeting me once. If we hit it off and the person wants to establish a friendship than its fine. However, I have found that a lot of people will friend me on FB and then never message me or write on my wall. Sometimes I think those people just wanted to learn more about me, view my pictures, etc.... and they needed to friend me because my page is private.

If I'm not sure about someone I will either deny them or give them limited access to my page. After a while, if they never communicate with me, I will unfriend them.

I've been on Facebook for 9 years. At first, I was accepting friend requests off just about anybody. People I hadn't seen in years, but got pretty miffed when I messaged them asking how they were going and they wouldn't reply or send back some short-ass message.

Now I just add close friends and family. A girl added me a while ago whom I briefly met at a party 6 months prior and another girl who was friends with an old ex. I declined both requests.

Ive got a grand total of 24 friends on FB and I can prob widdle that down to ide say under 20 it might look sad in this day were most have over 400 but I know each and every one of them personally in some way..I got a request from a kid well hes a adult now but he was a kid my group of friends knew way back when from the old neighborhood he was younger then us..he never even hung out with any of us I thought it was odd but I accepted and hes never even once IMed me..I think like some one else once said its more a curiosity/snoop factor..I prob wont be adding anymore like that if your that curious you know just emm talk to me...lol :laugh:

I went to a school reunion recently and added many people I kind of knew back then. However, it would be a bit weird if they messaged me for no apparent reason.

I would accept them. Just edit later if they don't work out. You don't have to let everyone you accept hang around.

Ive got a grand total of 24 friends on FB and I can prob widdle that down to ide say under 20 it might look sad in this day were most have over 400 but I know each and every one of them personally in some way..I got a request from a kid well hes a adult now but he was a kid my group of friends knew way back when from the old neighborhood he was younger then us..he never even hung out with any of us I thought it was odd but I accepted and hes never even once IMed me..I think like some one else once said its more a curiosity/snoop factor..I prob wont be adding anymore like that if your that curious you know just emm talk to me...lol :laugh:

Agreed. I keep my FB friends down to a minimum as well. I think sometimes people just want to add everyone as way to look like they are wildly popular with exciting lives.

There definitely are people who add others just to have a higher numbers count, but for many I think it's more practical. I add people who I am in peripheral contact with all the time, for convenience sake, for organizational purposes, etc. We're in groups together for this and that through local orgs, the kids' schools, charity fundraisers, college and high school reunions, various hobby Meetups, political stuff, etc. Subgroups start for who needs rides or who is going to do sheet music or who wants to volunteer for the garden or who has time to phone bank, or whatever. Often it's stuff I'm not super active in but I have a passing acquaintance in and I do occasionally get involved or donate to so yeah, I get friended as a way to stay in touch and be notified. This is super common. They might snoop through a few pics too but I usually put them in an Acquaintances restricted list if that bothers me--and usually I don't consider it snooping, I consider it a friendly interest, if anything, but then I don't post tons of personal pics on my wall, I keep more personal stuff to more personal PMs or private groups. Anyway, I vastly prefer that these people FB friend me rather than get my phone number and bug me that way.