Is my friend becoming a moocher?

sunshinerosebud

sunshinerosebud

We met recently in my hometown around breakfast at a cafe. We ordered two breakfast meals. First, I was shocked when my friend ate almost 3/4 of the food because the basket was large enough to accomodate two people. However, there were also other separate food items. After finishing eating, he took a 20 euro note to pay for his share. I got my own credit card out and he asked me: 'Are you paying with your card?' I said 'yes, why?' Then he went silent and nodded at the card. I told him I felt uncomfortable for covering for both of us in the last minute. I saw him putting his 20 note back into his pocket.

When I got back home, I called him and told I wanted to meet him to have my money back. He told me he had to a train to catch at 6 pm but he would make a bank transfer later. Since we live in neighboring countries, we might see each other again but I'm not sure I would want to hang out if I don't feel safe around him. I don't know how if I even should accept another invitation from him, or if I should just should cut him off without an explanation? I feel used and so angry for having been deceived this way. I'm upset for actually having to ask him to give me back my money.

I'm confused with his behavior because this is the first time he's doing that. Before he always paid for his share. At the beginning I though he might be going through some rough times, I thought he was broke for a moment but I remembered he had mentioned some time ago that he would go to Vietnam for the summer. Plus I think he went on another trip to Norway this month. I'm very angry I let myself being deceived when he clearly could cover for his meal. Then it is not so much about losing money, but also feeling openly disrespected. I've lost trust in him.

I feel even worse because I have few friends at the moment and I feel constantly on the defensive.

He didn't deceive you though. You saw him pull out his cash and then put it back when you pulled our your card. You knew he had the money, why did you pay for his share if you didn't want to?

He probably won't give you they money back. I'd just forget about it and stop eating out with this dude.

• Like 1