While out with a close friend, I bumped into his ex (also a close friend of mine)

So I was out with a friend going to get lunch when another close friend of mine (also his ex) called out to me when she saw me. They hadn't seen each other in years. I waved, then ended up turning around in her direction to go and say hi.

I was pretty conscious about making either of them feel uncomfortable or awkward, so I thought I would keep it quick, we said our hellos, then parted way (there was a bit of an awkward silence at the end).

I texted her casually later on saying "lol that was awkward" just to make light of the situation.

I then got a response back saying that it wasn't awkward at the start, but that I made it awkward. Apparently I just waved and walked away (I was admittidely unsure what to do at the start, but did go to say hi), and apparently I didn't look like i wanted to talk.

I tried to explain that I just wasn't sure how to deal with the situation, to not make either party uncomfortable. But now I'm getting ignored.

So is there anything that I should be doing in this situation? It seems pretty awkward no matter what....

TL;DR: While out with a friend bumped into another close friend who was also his ex. Situation got awkward, and apparently it was me that did it. What can I do differently?

• Like 1

I don't think you need to do anything differently.

You have your own perception of the situation and your own reaction to it.

No explanations owed.

Take care.

• Like 2
I don't think you need to do anything differently.

You have your own perception of the situation and your own reaction to it.

No explanations owed.

Take care.

Agreed.

Means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Move on.

• Like 1