Legal rights [roommate is hacking my emails and changing my passwords]

Freespirited12

Freespirited12

Okay I live with my two older brothers whom are not my blood brothers but have been really close for many years. I basically take care of our home do all cooking cleaning repairs etc. i have a computer lap top and a cell phone that is connected to their server. When i first got the lap top it wouldnt start so I asked them if they would return it for me because I was attending a wedding that day. While at the wedding i got a text stating that they got it started. When i got home it was at the setup screen so i created my account and began to set email etc. every single day when i go to login it says my password is wrong. So i started getting weirded out and check my computer and low and behold there is a hidden account on my computer that has remote access. When going to my services to disable these. They were grayed out. My phone has the same password problems. I connot even us 4g on my phone unless i connect to their server. I am pretty computer suave so i know they are monitoring my stuff. I find this very offensive and an invasion of my privacy. And yes im sober. How should I handle this situation? Is it legal for them to be invading my person information and changing it?

How should I handle this situation?

That is way too weird. Does your laptop have a function to return it too factory settings? Usually something like press F11 on start up?

If the hard drive is partitioned with a D:/ drive that has restore info on it, it may well.

However you would need them to install the log in for their server, so they could reinfect it.

Apart from that is it necessary to live with them?

I guess it could be a Police matter if you considered it stalking.

Are you absolutely sure they're spying on you? How old are they? Honestly, I can see people in a relationship doing something like that, but is there a reason they would be interested in spying on you? Online as opposed to spying in real life since you all reside under the same roof?

If they wanted to spy, why would they change your password and make it impossible for you to login? Take it to Geeksquad.

• Like 1

Why wouldn't the laptop start when you first got it? Was it a used or refurbished laptop? Usually brand new computers don't have a problem starting up. If it belonged to someone else before you got it then it's possible that it's a previous owner who is accessing your stuff. Before you accuse your brothers or assume things about them, make sure you know that it's them.

GunslingerRoland

That is a big accusation, and the issues you are having don't really seem consistent. What do your brother servers have to do with 4g for example... 4 g is cellular data, you shouldn't even be hitting that if you are on wifi.

Plus why are you connected to their server in the first place? Do you share data with them for something? Or are you calling a router a server?

Also, in later versions of windows services show up grey unless you run as an administrator... are you saying your account isn't an admin account?

I also doubt your password issues have anything to do with this... and what personal information of yours are they changing?

I know you say you are computer "suave" but I'm not getting that sense from this post, and if your suspicion is built around these oddities you are noticing with your computer/phone I think you'd better make sure you have a solid understanding of what you are seeing first.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author
Freespirited12

If my roommate is hacking my emails and changing my passwords on a daily bases is he breaking the law. Has been doing it for 4 years and telling me I'm crazy. And frankly I'm quite sick of it

GunslingerRoland

Of course it's illegal, but as I said earlier, it's a huge accusation, especially if it's been happening for 4 years. And it doesn't seem consistent with "hacking".

What does hacking your email mean to you?