Would appreciate thoughts about this

I was visiting a friend I have known since childhood, who now lives out of town. We were in a store looking at clothes for her daughter (who calls me Aunt); very cute clothes.

I commented that I have three nephews and two grandsons, but if they had been girls, I probably would have gone broke buying them cute girl stuff.

My friend responded: "You have a niece, but you have restrained yourself admirably."

Is there ANY other way to interpret this besides, "You don't spend enough money on my child."

No, there isn't. That's one of the rudest most entitled comments I've ever heard. If it were me, that would be the end of a relationship. She's responsible for clothing her child. People may say It takes a village, but what if the village has their own expenses to cover.

• Like 1
Is there ANY other way to interpret this besides, "You don't spend enough money on my child."

Haha ....no. Altho I suppose it could be judgment-free commentary, but it's def pointing out that you don't.

humpf... facial expressions in this case would help..

She could have meant that you spent the perfect or right amount and didn't overspend or she could have meant that you underspent and are cheap...

ha

I'd have probably laughed at the outright b*tchiness of that comment. It's her problem. Gifts are polite gestures, not friendship maintenance fees.

• Like 1
  • Author

When she and her husband were broke, I gave them a check for $2500 (gift, not loan). None of her siblings did that.

• Like 1

Well, then she was really out of line. Seems like now she regards you as Ms. Moneybags and wants more. I'd unload her.

When she and her husband were broke, I gave them a check for $2500 (gift, not loan). None of her siblings did that.

Wow, I can't believe she had the nerve to say that to you, especially since you have been so generous. Is it possible she was just trying to be humorous or just making a factual statement with no ill intent? What was her tone?

People who say things like that, there is always some truth to it, no matter how they try to hand it off as humor. She resents her friend has money and thinks she should give it to her. She's not a good friend. She's a mooch.

It depends on how she said it exactly. She could have meant it as, "I don't think you would go broke if your nephews were girls." She could have meant it in a factual way without any resentment. Or, yeah, it could be a bitchy comment. It's hard to know without hearing the tone of her voice.