Dude, your breath KILLS

blind_otter

blind_otter

I went to the movies with my friend last night....he is my horror movie buddy . Besides the fact that he tried to make it a date by paying real quick. I punched him in the arm and said, no this isn't a date. And he said, well sorry for paying, and I said, well next time DON'T, we aren't dating and never will, THANKS. :rolleyes:

Anyways, he has this problem. HIS BREATH KILLS!!!! I've done that thing where I told him to chew some gum/get a mint. I have mints all the time because I am paranoid about bad breath, I use altoids, trident, and I have certs....I also have hypoglycemia, so the mints help when I have low blood sugar.

I have tic tacs, whatever - anything you want, I have breath stuff in my purse. I even sometimes have those portable thingys that brush your teeth.

In any case I've told him to address the breath issue. It is frustrating. It's become a running joke. "Face the other way, dude, your breath kills! Here have a mint/some gum" - but it only works for like 30 seconds with him and then his breath comes back for revenge.

Maybe it is a digestive thing? Any ideas? He's like, why can't I find GF and I am like, well here's a big clue probably, ha ha ha. But seriously, I am serious. Maybe he has like halitosis?? We rolled once like in January and the bad breath thing was not that bad of a problem back then. It seems to be getting worse.

He probably has untreated gum disease. There are a lot of people - mostly guys, it seems - who must be neglecting their flossing and dental hygiene and that awful breath is the result. He has to get himself to a dentist and get his teeth cleaned and then probably he needs to start flossing. If he's just a friend, tell him this. He sure won't get a girl if his mouth smells like a sewer.

People with gastro intestinal oddities can have extremely bad breath. Also, post nasal drip can cause it too. A dental cleaning is a good idea. Failing that, buy one of those surgical masks and wear it.

• Author
blind_otter

yeah he got his jaw broken playing lacross like last year and his teeth are all f*cked up now, when they reset his jaw, his teeth were affected. maybe he needs to shell out the $$ for the cosmetic dental surgery rather than his fancy schmancy car with neon lights and a booming sound system.

I will advise about the teeth thing. men = eeeeediots! :laugh:

yes it is most likely a medical issue for him. it is normal for some people to have bad breath and it does come and go over time.

few yrs ago this cute lawyer chickie was hot for me. she was perfect for me in almost every way EXCEPT she has the nastiest smelliest breath, yuck :(

it is normal for some people to have bad breath and it does come and go over time.

Oh really. Please quote sources.

Originally posted by moimeme

Oh really. Please quote sources.

Originally posted by moimeme

There are a lot of people - mostly guys, it seems - who must be neglecting their flossing and dental hygiene and that awful breath is the result.

Sure MOIMEME, right after you quote source for the above.

Talk to your dentist. Bad breath is not 'normal' unless it's just a case of someone having eaten or drunk something and not brushed after. Something's causing this and he needs to find out what. Certainly if he broke his jaw and had it wired, there may even be a hidden abscess or infection which could cause a lot of trouble if ignored.

Ugh. Definetly something wrong-you know when people get their wisdom teeth pulled and their mouths just smell like bloody meat and plaque after? Hate that.

Ever since I got a root canal a couple of years ago, my breath STINKS like the sewer. I brush 2 - 3 times a day and floss daily. I get my teeth cleaned every 4 months. The stink comes from the area I had the root canal and I can taste and smell it myself and I know everyone hates it. Mints mask it temporarily only for the sugar to make it stink more afterwards. Anyone know what I can do about it? The cap I got over the root canal cost a fortune and is in place, so I don't want to remove and do additional work there, especially since the dentist does not reommend to do so.

I agree with what everyone has said here. He should get his teeth checked or maybe it could be a gastrointestinal problem, but I was also wondering about parsley or lemon juice - - I have heard these can help. In fact, I think they make some sort of round capsules I've seen here and there you can swallow which have some effect.

• Author
blind_otter
Originally posted by badbreath

Ever since I got a root canal a couple of years ago, my breath STINKS like the sewer. I brush 2 - 3 times a day and floss daily. I get my teeth cleaned every 4 months. The stink comes from the area I had the root canal and I can taste and smell it myself and I know everyone hates it. Mints mask it temporarily only for the sugar to make it stink more afterwards. Anyone know what I can do about it? The cap I got over the root canal cost a fortune and is in place, so I don't want to remove and do additional work there, especially since the dentist does not reommend to do so.

Talk to your dentist.

• Author
blind_otter

Anyone have any ideas how to broach the topic? Maybe I could be like, hey since you broke your jaw, have you noticed the odoriferious emanations coming from your oral area?

hah.

Originally posted by blind_otter

Anyone have any ideas how to broach the topic? Maybe I could be like, hey since you broke your jaw, have you noticed the odoriferious emanations coming from your oral area?

hah.

It sounds like he doesn't take care of himself. To him it's not a big issue. So he doesn't floss or brush as often as he should.

If it's a really big and serious issue to you then let him know.

Don't joke about it or give hints.

Just tell him that you are having a hard time dealing with his breath and that, as hard as it is to say, it may end the friendship.

hah.

hows about "dude....your breath stinks like sheeyot!"

this is no time to preserve someone's feelings.

Tell him you wouldn't mention it except that you read (heard, whatever) that bad breath can signal a serious infection or something else wrong and you're concerned for him. Since you've known him quite a while and this is a new problem, I think he'll take it from you without being too upset.

My ex had that problem, not at first but down the line. My god it was awful and I would tell her and she would just get pissed, hell there where times I wouldn't even sleep next to her cause she would roll over and let a yawn and my gawwdd I would have to hold my breath to keep from gagging.

Not to long ago I was in the bathroom and she was brushing her teeth and I just happened to look over at her to see if a dead pig or giraffe fell out(and no niether did)but she was spitting out blood and I was like WTF is up with you is it always like that?? She said ya, I told her to go to the dentist that day and see whats up.....just to find out she dam near has gingivitis and 3 cavities.

And guess what she does......................NOTHING, she spends $4000 on new boobies and another $1000 in hiar freaking extensions but won't fix her freaking teeth.

Well atleast her new boyfreind will be happy down the road when she has no teeth,lol.

• Author
blind_otter
Originally posted by Numb

My ex had that problem, not at first but down the line. My god it was awful and I would tell her and she would just get pissed, hell there where times I wouldn't even sleep next to her cause she would roll over and let a yawn and my gawwdd I would have to hold my breath to keep from gagging.

Not to long ago I was in the bathroom and she was brushing her teeth and I just happened to look over at her to see if a dead pig or giraffe fell out(and no niether did)but she was spitting out blood and I was like WTF is up with you is it always like that?? She said ya, I told her to go to the dentist that day and see whats up.....just to find out she dam near has gingivitis and 3 cavities.

And guess what she does......................NOTHING, she spends $4000 on new boobies and another $1000 in hiar freaking extensions but won't fix her freaking teeth.

Well atleast her new boyfreind will be happy down the road when she has no teeth,lol.

Ew. That is SO GROSS.

Ew. That is SO GROSS.

No sh*t it is, and the sad part is she is very very pretty. For some reason she doesn't think thats to important to have fixed(teeth), and its just another dam good reason we are not together anymore.

If she brushed her teeth it would take about 3-5 minutes before it was like she never did, thats probably why she started cheating on me since I would not do anything with her anymore since it got so bad....she probably thought I didn't love her anymore or some sh*t like that,lol.

WithOrWithoutYou

Go to WalMart, BUY him a quart of Fresh Burst Listerine (sometimes we have to invest in our friends), and instruct him to gargle with it and swish it around his mouth for at least 30 seconds, daily, every morning when he gets up after brushing his teeth. Problem solved. :)

PS: Make sure it is Listerine, and not Scope or some other weaker brand.

They ALWAYS pick the women with the worst mouths for "the swan". Amazingly enough, good dental hygene is not a priority for everyone. Then again, when you have to pay for a dentist out of your OWN pocket, you can go for quite awhile without seeing one

Originally posted by Mr Spock

They ALWAYS pick the women with the worst mouths for "the swan". Amazingly enough, good dental hygene is not a priority for everyone. Then again, when you have to pay for a dentist out of your OWN pocket, you can go for quite awhile without seeing one

But what I don't understand(one of many things)about my ex is she(mostly my cash)spent $1000. for hair extensions instead of getting her teeth fixed, I was not happy I told her to get her teeth fixed since her teeth are way more important than her hair is.

Now as of today almost all of her hair extensions have fallen out, as far as her mouth hell I don't know but I'm sure its not pretty....thats the new guys problem now.

I tend to take posts less seriosly when a person is talking about an SO or recently ex SO and they stick things in their post like "that's his problem now" or "probably that's why she started cheating on me"

It's because her boobs and hair are highly visible to her, while her breath may not register on her smell scale at all.