Bill issues with friend/roommate

nutcracker

I recently was away on vacation for two weeks when I got a call from my roommate saying the trash she left outside was riddled with maggots that had crawled all over our porch and the neighbor's. She said she had cleaned out all the rotten vegetables our ex roommate had left but hadn't thrown the trash out in 6 days. I tried asking her to clean them up but she said she was too "freaked out" by them to do anything and asked me to call pest control, something she could have done herself. Nevertheless, despite all my persuading her against the idea, I called pest control and took care of it.

Now, I have been asking this roommate of mine to put her name on the lease along with me for the past 3-4 months but she's been putting it off. Now I have the feeling she will ask me to split the pest control cost with her, just because I'm a lessee and hence responsible. Is it fair for me to split the cost with her, despite not being in the apartment at all, or not contributing to this incident in any way when it took place?

Why was it your roommates responsibility to clean up after the ex-roommate and not yours as well? Sounds like you expected her to deal with it all herself while you were away enjoying your vacation. I say split the cost with her.

• Author
nutcracker
Why was it your roommates responsibility to clean up after the ex-roommate and not yours as well? Sounds like you expected her to deal with it all herself while you were away enjoying your vacation. I say split the cost with her.

I did not "expect her to deal with it herself". It was my ex-roommate's responsibility to deal with it, besides, I was not even in town when my ex roommate moved out. How could I clean out stuff then? Besides, I had cleaned up every possible thing I could before I left.

If you think of it that way, do you think its fair for me to pay when my roommate let rotten trash sit outside for 6 days?