Overreaction

I had an issue with a friend because of an opinion I expressed. There is a woman he dated and had a baby with, they aren't a couple but there are many things that show that he doesn't want to let go of her. I have told him this and he doesn't like it when I do. . Yesterday he was telling me those things about that lady and I told him 'you want to be close to her, there is still something'. He got really mad at me and said he was disappointed and that I betrayed his trust by giving him that kind of opinions when he talks to me about his personal stuff, he went on and on making me feel guilty. I told him I realized it was a unwanted opinion and apologized. . He said he won't talk to me about his life and that our friendship will be distant.

I realize he didn't ask for my opinion, I apologized for what I said and I feel he overreacted. I would like to hear what you think about it.

Do you think he was right by reacting the way he did?

When talking to people is it better to not give them any opinion at all even if they are friends?

Relax dear. You are right at your place. You said nothing wrong and your friend actually overreacted. Better you distance yourself from him for few days and no need to say sorry to him.

• Like 1

I think he overreacted, probably because there is some truth to your words. Usually when two close friends get together to share their thoughts that includes one giving their opinion to the other. That's how our friends help us work through stuff, by letting us see things from a different perspective. As long as you weren't rude or judgemental sounding then I don't think you said anything wrong. Let him distance himself if he wants as it doesn't seem he views friendship the same as you.

• Like 1

When people react in a highly defensive way it's because you hit a nerve. If it hadn't been true, it wouldn't have made him mad and defensive. You have no obligation to help someone deceive themselves.

• Like 1