Acquaintance always has unbelieveable anecdotes involving celebrities

HansonGirl

There's this guy I know in our group of friends who ALWAYS has the most outlandish stories - they often involve something somewhat hard to believe, and they ALWAYS involve a celebrity. This guy has never lived in a large city (NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago, or any OTHER large city) - he has lived his whole life in a small town in a southern state (but he does travel). I've lived in two of those major cities most of my life, and have only a few encounters with celebrities and they were all very normal and uneventful. Yet somehow HE has all these crazy, comical interactions with celebrities, having never lived in a major city. He's like a name-dropper frankly. From the first story he told I never believed him. His first story was that he was cast in a movie - yet the reason he doesn't have an IMDB page is because his scenes were cut. How convenient. According to him, his deleted scenes were on one special edition of the DVD that came out, and after that came out, 2 people claimed they recognized him (even though he was like 4 years old during the movie and is now an adult). This was the only movie ever filmed in his hometown. I think the next time he brings this story up, I am going to suggest we find the special edition DVD and have a group movie night so we can watch his deleted scenes. Then I am going to see how he reacts.

Other than that, I don't think I can do anything about this, but everyone else always seems to gobble up these stories and I wonder if I am the only one who doesn't buy it. And the stories take forever- it seems like he's thinking up what to say next. I think if I said something, i'd look like a bitter, jealous person. But I actually don't really trust him because he seems like a liar, thanks to these stories.

Anyways, does anybody know someone like this? Or do you think I am being too harsh - maybe he's telling the truth? he seems to really enjoy sucking people into his stories.

• Like 1
I think the next time he brings this story up, I am going to suggest we find the special edition DVD and have a group movie night so we can watch his deleted scenes. Then I am going to see how he reacts.

That seems like an awful lot of work on your part.

Other than that, I don't think I can do anything about this, but everyone else always seems to gobble up these stories and I wonder if I am the only one who doesn't buy it. And the stories take forever- it seems like he's thinking up what to say next. I think if I said something, i'd look like a bitter, jealous person. But I actually don't really trust him because he seems like a liar, thanks to these stories.

If it seems that obvious to you, why are you even hanging around this guy?

Anyways, does anybody know someone like this? Or do you think I am being too harsh - maybe he's telling the truth? he seems to really enjoy sucking people into his stories.

I'm wondering why you are so invested in finding him out? It doesn't seem like it is worth anyone's time to deal with people like this.

• Like 1

I wouldn't bother saying anything to him or anyone else. If you think he's lying then just keep your distance.

• Like 1
  • Author
HansonGirl
That seems like an awful lot of work on your part.

If it seems that obvious to you, why are you even hanging around this guy?

I'm wondering why you are so invested in finding him out? It doesn't seem like it is worth anyone's time to deal with people like this.

Yeah i probably won't end up saying something. The reason I am around him is just from circumstance- not because I like him or choose to be his friend. I absolutely do not. I was just venting and trying to see if anybody else has known someone like this. Some of these stories seem so ridiculous to me and everybody is always like, "wow!!"

• Like 1

Some people are good at meeting celebrities. We have a weirdo guy here who has done it his whole life (I'm in Texas) We get celebs just like anyplace else. You don't have to be in NY or LA. I don't believe everything he has said in the past, but he does have some photos. But in the distant past, he would say he was someone'd houseboy and that type thing, but at least one guy I knew at the time said he had seen him here locally during that time and didn't believe him. I wouldn't worry about it. I would just not feel obligated to be impressed about it and let it go.

• Like 1

It seems your acquaintance is a pathological liar attempting to make himself seem important. I don't see any real benefit to unmasking him. It might be impossible anyway, what with his unlimited supply of fascinating yet implausible tales and the apparent gullibility of most of his listeners. I'd just listen to him talk with the same degree of attentiveness and acceptance as I'd thumb through one of those supermarket checkout tabloids. Good for a few moments of entertainment, just don't let it bother you as it has no real world implications of any sort.

Some of these stories seem so ridiculous to me and everybody is always like, "wow!!"

"Wow" can mean many different things.

• Like 1
  • Author
HansonGirl
Some people are good at meeting celebrities. We have a weirdo guy here who has done it his whole life (I'm in Texas) We get celebs just like anyplace else. You don't have to be in NY or LA. I don't believe everything he has said in the past, but he does have some photos. But in the distant past, he would say he was someone'd houseboy and that type thing, but at least one guy I knew at the time said he had seen him here locally during that time and didn't believe him. I wouldn't worry about it. I would just not feel obligated to be impressed about it and let it go.

yeah i agree it really isn't a big deal. Just wanted to vent. But to be clear this guy never just MEETS celebrities, he always has some comical story related to the celebrity. it's just like ugh, enough already.