Friend accusing me of lying about liking sushi

I am so upset this friend from church just sent me a message after I responded to her post asking if anyone wants to get sushi and she asked if I liked sushi.

When I responded that I thought it was ok, she said "thats not what you told me the other day, Im pretty sure you told me you dont like sushi" and I said I didnt say that, I said it was ok but not my favorite, and she said "I dont believe thats what you said the other day, I specifically remember you saying you dont like sushi and you are being dishonest with me, I dont want you to come if youre going to lie to me, I dont even know why you want to come since you dont like sushi" after I repeatedly told her no thats not what I said she still kept calling me a liar and wouldnt believe me.

I know I didnt lie about not liking sushi and dont know how to get her to believe me, and am so upset she probably hates me now and thinks Im a liar and doesnt want to believe me I dont know what to doI feel like she never wanted me there in the first place and was making an excuse.

Do you think I should ask her if she ever wanted me there in the first place? It was posted on my church groups FB group that she knows I am a part of. And after I apologized and explained myself she said ok I guess I misunderstood and I asked if I could still come she said yes but then an hour later messaged me saying everyone who was going cancelled so she wasnt going to do it and that she would reschedule for next week

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Paragraphs
dreamingoftigers

I don't think I'd bother associating with such a nutjob that accuses you of being a liar over something so petty.and I sure wouldn't worry if they hated me or not.

• Like 5

Your fiends behaviour says a lot about her.

I remember my ex MIL accusing me of calling her a liar in front of her grandson once. She waited till several hours after the "offence" to call me at my place and tell me that she didn't appriciate me calling her a "liar"....when in fact what had happened is, her and I had had a difference of opinion on the colour of something, she'd thought it was blue and I thought purplish and she didn't like me disagreeing with her in front of her grandson... in her eyes I was calling her a liar...when I wasn't. This was the first warning I would get to the bizarre way her mind worked. I didn't get any better.

The way your friend has handled the sushi saga is the first clue you have to how her mind works. I'd start distancing myself if I were you. She has totally over reacted about something really trivial.

• Like 2

I'd pass on the sushi event and let the rest go and move on. Hopefully, the church will provide guidance on the rest.

• Like 2
dreamingoftigers

I've got to say, I've been accused of some pretty crazy things in my time, but I don't think I've ever been accused of NOT liking a food. :)

• Like 3
I am so upset this friend from church just sent me a message after I responded to her post asking if anyone wants to get sushi and she asked if I liked sushi.

When I responded that I thought it was ok, she said "thats not what you told me the other day, Im pretty sure you told me you dont like sushi" and I said I didnt say that, I said it was ok but not my favorite, and she said "I dont believe thats what you said the other day, I specifically remember you saying you dont like sushi and you are being dishonest with me, I dont want you to come if youre going to lie to me, I dont even know why you want to come since you dont like sushi"

I regard myself as a reasonably empathic person, but I think if somebody started on at me like your friend did I would just say "I'm not interested" and end the conversation with them. Getting offended about somebody like that calling you a liar is like being outraged because somebody with Tourette's Syndrome swore at you. You just recognise that it's the person's problem not yours, move on and leave other more patient/gullible people to deal with their crap.

• Like 1

Do you think I should ask her if she ever wanted me there in the first place? It was posted on my church groups FB group that she knows I am a part of. And after I apologized and explained myself she said ok I guess I misunderstood and I asked if I could still come she said yes but then an hour later messaged me saying everyone who was going cancelled so she wasnt going to do it and that she would reschedule for next week

I wouldn't go out to lunch with her even if she does another group invite, because regardless of where you eat, sh*t stirring will be on the menu. Shrug at sushi nazi's antics and ignore her.

• Like 1
TaraMaiden2

Throw a mega-sushi party, make a big thing of it, themed cards, posters, fb notifications, fancy dress - and then invite everyone - except her.

• Like 2

You know the specifics of your relationship with this woman.

I think she wanted to have an outing where technically everyone was invited but assumed a select few would decline bc of their cuisine preference, or lack thereof. BUT, you threw a monkey wrench in her plan when you accepted the invitation so she cancelled the event.

Honestly, what difference does it make whether or not you like sushi? You accepted the invitation. You may want to step back and re-evaluate your relationship with this woman. Creating drama over your food preferences and calling you a liar... I wouldn't want to keep company with this woman.

This woman is not a "friend" and this really isn't about the "sushi" - and I'd have no problem telling her that exactly.

She's got some serious work to do at church.

• Like 2