Having no friends in your 20s

You can do a lot by yourself but it takes self confidence. You can take walks; you can go to the beach (but pick one with a life guard); you can go on vacation (certain cruise ships even have special cabins & areas for solo travelers); you can attend events; you can take a class for fun not academics.

Meanwhile expand your social circle. Volunteer somewhere doing something you are passionate about. Go to Meet Up groups. Join a sports team. Get to know your neighbors. Get involved in alumni groups.

• Like 1

I've always been one who went most places by myself, even when I had a big circle of friends. I don't like waiting on or depending on people much, so that's why. I like to be in control of when I go and when I leave. You can do anything by yourself.

I met the most like-minded people by working in retail when I was in my 20s. I imagine you'd also make friends waitressing. Those type jobs put you in a position that's not so structured you can't get to know and talk to other people as well as customers and it will be repeat exposure and when you have that, you make friends. If you have a good job, you don't have to give it up. Just take a retail or waitressing job part-time for fun.

• Author

I work in retail but most of my coworkers are older and we get a long fine but they have their own friends and families. My town is small and there are no meetup groups :(. I joined an organization with professionals around my age and talk to them but haven't made friends :/ I don't really have much time to have a part-time job because I workout and after work I'm exhausted. It's just hard making friends because the ones I made in college all live far from me.

How about the beauty salon? Do you ever go there and just chat with whoever's there? Check your local paper or Google your town and "events" and stay on top of any little thing that is going on. In a small town, I know it's harder, but a lot of folks must be in your same situation. Is there a bowling alley? Even if you don't currently bowl, go there and see if someone will teach you and then join a little nonpro league. Play pool. Just do whatever there is to do there and be friendly to whoever you see that looks promising.

Also, since a lot are married, if you have any tolerance for kids, you might start babysitting for a reasonable fee a couple days a week and maybe meet a new mom friend. You can also meet people taking your dog for a walk. This is really a great way to get people to talk to you, male and female. And the dog does all the work.

If you start jogging, you might find a jogging buddy. Volunteer for 2 hours a week somewhere, library, zoo, dog pound, church, whatever. Again, if you google your town name and "volunteer" it will likely come up with something. Good luck.

• Like 1
thecrucible

I think the best way is to join some kind of organised group and go from there. I sympathise. Most of my friends now are friends I had from school. Most of them aren't people I have everything in common with but we bond over what we do have in common so I have a different kind of friendship with each of them. I also don't limit myself by age for friends because I don't always meet other women in my age group. I am hoping to make more friends by joining some classes and just chatting to people. I'm rooting for both of us.

. It's just hard making friends because the ones I made in college all live far from me.

Try getting involved in an alumni association.

Do you have a boyfriend? Well you might since you said this.

I would say, forget friends, get a boyfriend!

Do you have a boyfriend? Well you might since you said this.

I would say, forget friends, get a boyfriend!

No she needs friends. When a boyfriend breaks up with her she will have no one to turn to. She definitely needs friends. Too many girls make their bfs their best friends and when he breaks up with them they are alone with no one.

OP, did you have friends when you were in school? Where are they now?

• Like 1

I would agree with those who say, find a hobby to occupy your time and you're likely to meet people. For example, all of my friends have moved out and relocated to places that are further away. Feeling alone, I decided to take a kickboxing class, I did meet several fun people. Also, I have gone out to bars or social events by myself. It helps if you approach people and initiate conversation, it shows that you're self-assured and a confident person, remember most people won't approach others like that. Tap into what you like to do and it'll pay off.

• Author

I don't have a boyfriend but thought about it. I figure it was a bad idea to search for a guy because I was feeling lonely. My friends live out of state I keep in touch with 2 out of like 5 close friends. I have a sister that I am close to but she has a boyfriend so she doesn't have time for me anymore. I was close to a cousin of mine but we don't talk because she would always cancel plans. I am in an organization with people my own age and met with them at events but I don't know how to ask them to hang out outside of the events :/