College Best Friendship is Over & that is Okay

Letmeknow

I'm 22. He's 22. Graduated college 8 months ago live in same city.

I told my best friend from college (& best friend for quite some time afterwards) that I think it’s best if we don’t see each other for a few months. It was obvious our relationship was deteriorating and I thought a few months would help.

He then got very upset. He told me to “You have some serious problems.” & “Go F… Yourself.” & “Screw a few months, have a good rest of your life”

His messages were long while my previous message before was short. I did not reply to him as a lot of things he said hurt. I made a decision after a lot of thought and I’m sticking to it.

The whole situation is disappointing, but I know it’s for the best.

Don't need a response, just wanted to write that out & tell people that shiz Happens and it's okay.

• Like 1

That's sad. A broken best friendship of mine way back nearly wrecked me.

If the friendship was deteriorating, one could take steps to say lets sit down and figure out how to better it or see if we have something to sort out.

He may have felt abandoned and lashed out because he was upset and couldn't understand your stance.

Either way, good luck.

• Author

After his words he better be glad I'm ignoring him and walking away with my head held high.

He's just a bully that has never been beat up before. And if I see his pretty face again..I can promise that it won't be pretty anymore.

After his words he better be glad I'm ignoring him and walking away with my head held high.

He's just a bully that has never been beat up before. And if I see his pretty face again..I can promise that it won't be pretty anymore.

Get a grip, people say all kinds of things when they are hurt. You were once best friends, the friendship was fading and so you pushed him away rather than talking it over and getting on the same page. I feel that was immature and he probably really was upset and that kind of sadness always comes out as anger because a person gets overwhelmed to admit such emotions so they just spout off.

He doesn't mean it, but even if he did, um, your not 15 who assaults someone over words? You can care less about him but now want to FIGHT him? Who cares, get over it, your the one that abandoned the friendship, no one takes that kind of thing well.

• Author
Get a grip, people say all kinds of things when they are hurt. You were once best friends, the friendship was fading and so you pushed him away rather than talking it over and getting on the same page. I feel that was immature and he probably really was upset and that kind of sadness always comes out as anger because a person gets overwhelmed to admit such emotions so they just spout off.

He doesn't mean it, but even if he did, um, your not 15 who assaults someone over words? You can care less about him but now want to FIGHT him? Who cares, get over it, your the one that abandoned the friendship, no one takes that kind of thing well.

Thank you Privategal.

You are right & I appreciate the honesty.

It stings when your supposed best friend ends with out any explanation. I've had it happen many times. I have a best friend from college. We might see each other once a year. But I almost prefer it that way. I know I can text or call her and she will give me advice. I'd urge you to at least give your former best friend a why, but at least try to hear him out. Life is too cruel and hard to have stuff like this happen.

• Author
It stings when your supposed best friend ends with out any explanation. I've had it happen many times. I have a best friend from college. We might see each other once a year. But I almost prefer it that way. I know I can text or call her and she will give me advice. I'd urge you to at least give your former best friend a why, but at least try to hear him out. Life is too cruel and hard to have stuff like this happen.

I don't believe I will because his last text, that I did not respond to, was so degrading and disrespectful.

I'm pretty positive he knows what's going on. If he asks for an explanation later then I will think about responding.

I don't believe I will because his last text, that I did not respond to, was so degrading and disrespectful.

I'm pretty positive he knows what's going on. If he asks for an explanation later then I will think about responding.

Did you even tell him why you didn't want to be friends or did you just say the friendship was over. More than likely he had some sort of feelings for you.

Did you even tell him why you didn't want to be friends or did you just say the friendship was over. More than likely he had some sort of feelings for you.

Ditto.

The reaction was sort of ridiculous. Was it out of character? Doe he have a habit of popping off like that when disappointed?

Another thought:

Why did you want to stop seeing each other? If he was at a low point or had some struggle that he was going through and needed to have a friend to talk to (i.e. he wasn't fun at the time) he may have felt betrayed. Basically, "You're not fun right now, come back when you're fixed"

Speculating, not saying that's what you did.

You could just be the bigger person and explain and also just ask if he was going through something and that his text was harsh.

You can talk it out and do this better.