My best friend is upset/mad that I'm talking/seeing my ex

emilylane33

Back story : My ex and I broke up 4 months ago because he was moving.We're both 20 btw. The distance was to much so he kinda slowly started to stop talking to me. There was some other things that happened but nothing significant. ( and then he started dealing with problems and he's having a hard time where he is) He reached out to me 2 months ago and apologized about everything, and we've been talking all the time since. He is in town for Christmas and we got together (nothing happened other than a few kisses). He took me to my fav restaurant and we spent hours talking. He even got me a christmas gift! He said he misses me and loves me and right now he's not in the place for a relationship (I really don't want to put the reason why, but they are very very personal)

I thought today was amazing and I told my best friend about it..and she was super upset about it. She knew I was seeing him and wished me luck. I told her I wasn't going to make any moves on him. But I was so happy today and him and I had a great time. She doesn't think he can help me "Grow up" and I'm "taking a step backwards as she goes forward" She says she cries when I tell her we talk or he tells me things. and she says that she will be the only one who will always be here for me. I love my best friend so much and I understand she has my best interest but she's always seemed to dislike him, and there are a few little things he has done, but since day 1 she hasn't liked him. Sometimes I just feel like she tells me what to do or maybe influence me.

I really really love this boy. I know he has flaws and he has some personal stuff he has to deal with, but I really love him. I know he ended things in a bad way, but I feel like he's being genuine with me.

Her and her bf did break up in August and really hasn't reached out to her, while mine has..Do you think it has to do with that?

• Like 1

She may be jealous. She may also have seen things in your relationship that you were blinded to by love. Talk to her. Get her to articulate her feelings / reactions. If she's trying to protect you, be grateful that she cares but assure her that you can take care of yourself. If she points out things that were less then fabulous about the relationship, listen. What I am thinking is that although you are telling us that everything was great, she may have seem something else in which case her perspective should be considered. If it turns out she is jealous, be sympathetic to her flight & reassure her that she remains important to you.

Only you can know this, but it may be that all she knows about him is all the things you've told her in the past, which weren't all great, so now she thinks you're an idiot for getting back together after all that complaining.

• Like 1

Did you use her as a sounding board when you were unhappy with the relationship? If so, she was probably really pleased when it ended and now she can't believe that you'd actuall want to get back together with him again.

Whatever you do, don't use her as a sounding board if/when it all goes bad again.