People interact with me then unfollow/unfriend me

People on Facebook and Instagram, mainly girls but sometimes guys too will comment on stuff I post and like it and then I'll do the same for some of theirs and we'll have some brief interactions, then months go by and all of a sudden I see they have unfollowed me for no reason at all even though throughout that time we have continued to like some stuff of each others.

I mean do these people expect you to comment and like every single thing they post in order to 'stay connected' with them or what? It's people with the same interests that do this it's not like it's people i have nothing at all in common with.

I notice they only seem to unfollow me and not many others even people who never like or comment on anything they post but they don't unfollow them. What's the reason for this?

Hard to say. I have thought about unfollowing a couple of my FB friends who are only acquaintances in real life. It's nothing personal towards them, it's just that they post on FB an awful lot and then my newsfeed gets full of their posts and then I have to endlessly scroll through their stuff to find posts from my real life friends and family. Do you post a lot on facebook? If so perhaps they just want to free up their newsfeed from your posts? So far I haven't unfollowed anyone simply because I'm worried they will take it personally, as you are.

Try not to focus so heavily on whether you are being followed or unfollowed. It's the relationships you have in real life that matter.

• Like 2

Happens all the time to me. Some people can be very fickle. Once I had someone unfriend me over posting a vaguely political article. A girl I was interested in unfriended me and blocked me after I got tagged with some other girl (who in reality was a former classmate) - right after liking the picture as if she wanted to rub it in.

The bottom line is not to take it too personally.

• Author
Hard to say. I have thought about unfollowing a couple of my FB friends who are only acquaintances in real life. It's nothing personal towards them, it's just that they post on FB an awful lot and then my newsfeed gets full of their posts and then I have to endlessly scroll through their stuff to find posts from my real life friends and family. Do you post a lot on facebook? If so perhaps they just want to free up their newsfeed from your posts? So far I haven't unfollowed anyone simply because I'm worried they will take it personally, as you are.

No in fact the exact opposite, I hardly ever post on Facebook, but I have commented on a couple of peoples statuses, they've thanked me for the advice or whatever, liked the comment I put and then in a couple of weeks they have unfriended me. Same thing with a Instagram I only have less than 100 posts and have had people like things and comment on them and then I check who unfollowed me a month or so later it's one of those people.

for what it's worth, every so often I routinely cull my friends list, reducing those who a) i don't interact with or b) i don't really know (say, someone I met once or not at all, with whom interactions have ceased).

it's not usually personal. indeed, when there is something personal going on i usually agonize over whether to unfriend (and always wuss out). chances are it has nothing to do with you, Especially if you're linking up with people you aren't all that close with in real life.

• Like 1
absoulutelyanna

I know the feeling. The same thing happens to me on instagram as well. It's hard sometimes because it can make you feel like something is wrong with you. I always have this question in my head (when I realize someone unfollowed me) like, "what did I do wrong?" or "why don't they like me?" but then I realize than I'm trying to justify the behavior of someone I only know from online. I don't know them in real life, which is the part that really matters. Don't take it too personally when this happens, because although you are getting to know the person online, they don't know your true personality in person -- and that is the one that counts!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I am a fickle facebook user, I have done that. Its something I am trying to move past. I unfriended some people who should have never been more than passing acquaintances anyway, but I have petulantly unfriended people for petty stuff too. Facebook is prime ground for some really passive aggressive behavior, and acting out drama that starts another place.

Come home from work after your boss tore you a new one, you unfriend someone who posted yet another cat video or one of those syrupy inspirational poems, like that footsteps stuff. Ficklebook, it should be called.

Don't let it get to you. Even though it will. Hopefully the next president will ban facebook, lol. Currently two of my college friends are engaged in a passionate debate about a country neither of them could find on the map and it could lead to some unfriending! Oh, the humanity

Edited by fiskadoro
  • Like 1

depends. how close was the friendship? Was it close enough for them to care? Not at all to be insulting, no. BUt then it could be that you valued the association to a higher level than them.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah I am a fickle facebook user, I have done that. Its something I am trying to move past. I unfriended some people who should have never been more than passing acquaintances anyway, but I have petulantly unfriended people for petty stuff too. Facebook is prime ground for some really passive aggressive behavior, and acting out drama that starts another place.

Come home from work after your boss tore you a new one, you unfriend someone who posted yet another cat video or one of those syrupy inspirational poems, like that footsteps stuff. Ficklebook, it should be called.

Don't let it get to you. Even though it will. Hopefully the next president will ban facebook, lol. Currently two of my college friends are engaged in a passionate debate about a country neither of them could find on the map and it could lead to some unfriending! Oh, the humanity

THIS. Haha honestly sometimes I wonder the same thing the op did, but then I thought...well have I ever randomly unfriended someone? And then I think back to when maybe I had a bad day and I come home and I am in the "PEOPLE SUCK I HATE EVERYONE" mood and some poor schmuck pops up on my feed who once looked at me the wrong way 4 years ago and I unfriend them and it makes me immediately feel better lol. When I think of that i'm like yeeeahhhh who honestly cares if people unfriend me its probably their problem not mine.