Does she want to be in a relationship or not?

I am in high school and I had this crush on this girl. Five months ago, I asked her out and she politely declined, even apologizing for it afterwards. She moved to a different school over the summer, but we've stayed fairly close, and I've met her on one or two occassions by coincidence, and we seem to hit it off.

A few weeks back, there was a game at my school and she was playing. I wasn't able to watch it, but I texted her afterwards to see how the game turned out. We continued to text, and at one point, she suggested that we meet up, in a flirty way, and of course I agreed.

All the signals seemed to be there, and we schedule our "meeting" for this week. Today, I reconfirmed with her the time and place, but today, her attitude seemed a bit, different, suggesting that we should perhaps invite others.

It caught me a bit off guard - she seems to display all the signs that she's interested in me for the past two weeks in texting. So now I don't know how to approach her when I meet her. How do I find out whether she's interested or not, because I'm far too afraid that if I ask at the wrong time and get declined again, I may not have a third chance to do it.

She may like you but is afraid of a relationship & what that means. As a teen I freaked out when a guy called me his GF. I felt like I was losing myself.

Just go slow. Spend time with her. Talk. Eventually ask her to a school dance or something. Don't jump all the way to a relationship, going out or going steady etc. Also proceed cautiously & with her permission before kissing.

• Author
She may like you but is afraid of a relationship & what that means. As a teen I freaked out when a guy called me his GF. I felt like I was losing myself.

Just go slow. Spend time with her. Talk. Eventually ask her to a school dance or something. Don't jump all the way to a relationship, going out or going steady etc. Also proceed cautiously & with her permission before kissing.

I can definitely see your angle here, but I'd like to add a note that she has been in a relationship before. Perhaps she's too afraid to jump into another one instantly again?

In the meantime, I'll keep your advice in mind.