Roommate always asking where I'm at

I sometimes go to my parents house for a day or two and my roommate texts me where I'm at all the time. I moved into the apartment so I don't get asked this freaking question.

What should I do?

Just say you really don't need to ask these questions. Stand firm but not argumentative. When I had roommates if I was away over night, I'd always give a heads up. And they would let me know. I guess in case there's a incident.

How old are you?

• Author
Just say you really don't need to ask these questions. Stand firm but not argumentative. When I had roommates if I was away over night, I'd always give a heads up. And they would let me know. I guess in case there's a incident.

How old are you?

22... lol he's 24.

Don't answer.

One of my friends lost his job and needed a place to stay for a while. I let him rent one of my extra bedrooms. We've been friends for a very long time. Sometimes, I'd stay out overnight. Sometimes I'd go away for an entire weekend. He'd often text me and ask me where I was. I refused to answer.

The point is - I'm a grown man. Don't ask me where I'm at or where I'm going. If I wanted you to know, I would tell you.

He eventually got the message.

I think you should keep each other loosely informed about when you'll be there and when you won't. Maybe he just wants to know you're going to be gone for awhile so he can have company or run around without his pants. I mean, why take out your parent issues on him?

• Like 3
I understand, it's just that It's none of his business.

Right.

Considering RoseVille's post, do you feel you should know where your roommate is?

Edited by MidKnightDreams
  • Author
Right.

Considering RoseVille's post, do you feel you should know where your roommate is?

Nah I totally agree. It's none of my business just as much as it's none of my roommates business.

I never ask though.

I understand, it's just that It's none of his business.

Well, I hope you get over that before you get married. Now, I get it if he's wanting to know because he's pressuring you to take him with you or something like that. But to just not be courteous to a roommate who also have to live there is extreme.

• Like 1

Yikes! Sounds like you are having to be an adult and accountable....Heres an idea...

Talk real slowly when you respond to him where you are....This way you can gradually grow into being accountable and responsible to others ..I promise you it doesn't hurt, it just makes you look considerate. The only problem is though, you get into this habit, and people actually think you've matured...

The only time I would draw the line is when you are in the living room, heading to the loo and someone ask where you are going....and you look at them and say- Yup I was just about to!

Yikes! Sounds like you are having to be an adult and accountable....Heres an idea...

Talk real slowly when you respond to him where you are....This way you can gradually grow into being accountable and responsible to others ..I promise you it doesn't hurt, it just makes you look considerate. The only problem is though, you get into this habit, and people actually think you've matured...

The only time I would draw the line is when you are in the living room, heading to the loo and someone ask where you are going....and you look at them and say- Yup I was just about to!

Wow. I don't see it that way.

If I had a wife, fiancee or girlfriend, of course I would let her know where I'm going and what I'm doing.

I can understand female roommates letting each other know where they are for safety reasons.

But, two dudes? Nah. I don't feel accountable to a male roommate nor is he accountable to me. Other than making sure our portion of the bills are paid on time. We both come and go as we please.

When I was out all night or all weekend, he knew what I was doing. He just wanted to know where and who I was doing it with. That's nosy, gossipy and ... feminine ... to me. Another man doesn't need to be in my business like that.

I think the male roommate situation is different from any other living arrangement. I'd probably let a female roommate know I'd be out for a while to keep her from worrying. But, I still wouldn't go into detail. A man? Nope.

Just my opinion.

Why not text your room mate when you plan to be gone for most of the day or several days.

That way there's nothing to question. Provide the info ahead of time.

What is wrong with saying "I'm away for a couple of days"?? You don't have to provide specifics of your whereabouts, but it IS courteous to inform your housemate that you're not gonna be around, especially if it's just the 2 of you.

I know I'd like to know... it would save me putting on clothes to go to the bathroom! But I wouldn't need to know the entire story of his going away. Just that they are away!

Give him answers that are obviously made up until he gets the hint and stops asking.

Edited by SpiralOut
I sometimes go to my parents house for a day or two and my roommate texts me where I'm at all the time. I moved into the apartment so I don't get asked this freaking question.

What should I do?

perhaps she is a bit shy and will not tell you how she really feels

What should I do?

Maybe its just out of concern for your safety. You could have had an accident or something.

He doesn't need to know where you are, but if you are staying the night elsewhere, I don't see the harm in leaving a note, that says,' I'm not coming home tonight', or 'be back on Tuesday'.

I though room mates became a little more friendly than this.

Mrs T