How embarrassing is this exactly?

disneyfan90

disneyfan90

I was at a wedding, and I had a little to drink. I was just slightly tipsy but my coordination was a little off. While we were getting ready to leave, everyone was just standing around, talking. I reached in to my purse and took something out of there so I could look for my phone. I must've been pretty uncoordinated because many seconds later, I realized that I was holding a pad in my hand for the entire world to see. Once I realized that, I put it back in my purse immediately but I was so mortified! Of course, everyone pretended like they didn't notice. I have no idea why I'm so embarrassed though--menstruation is something every woman goes through.

Would you be embarrassed too? If you saw someone in that situation, would you be embarrassed for them or see it as no big deal?

TaraMaiden2

I was embarassed for my neighbour once, and very angry with her too, frankly...

She was dating a very LTR partner, who was a medic in the army.

My then H and I were invited by them to a Military evening do...

Her partner was dressed to the nines in his military glad-rags, and she looked gorgeous, lean and glamorous.

She was also drunk before the evening had even truly begun...

We sat at our allocated table (with them, two other medics, whom we also knew well and their wives).... and my neighbour saw that I had the tiniest of handbags with me... really, just a little hanging drawstring clutch-purse... She grabbed it, and admired it noisily, showing the rest of the table how cute it was... and then she opened it.

Inside, I had a lipstick, and two tampons.

She hysterically proceeded to open one of them, all the while, poking fun at me for even having them on me, and pretending they were cigarettes (although why on earth.... as she didn't smoke and neither did I....)

Her partner took them off her and told her to quit being such an idiot, and she sat down, still giggling and completely unable to focus.

The next afternoon, when we all told her how she had been behaving, she wouldn't believe us at first, because she honestly couldn't remember a thing.

Our story was backed up by the others who had been at the table, later on though.

She didn't know where to put herself....

Needless to say, after that, she made sure she didn't get so very drunk at official functions....

• Like 1

If it happened to me, I'd be embarrassed. I'd feel bad if i saw it happen to someone else. People forget easily. Some people might remember it, but it will be a passing thought.

I would refuse to be embarrassed about it, but I would also watch myself from now on when I was drinking.

• Like 1

disneyfan90,

I wouldn't worry too much about this, I doubt if anyone noticed.

I was struggling with my handbag at the supermarket checkout once and dropped one of the handles. It fell open and tampons, plasters, comb, mobile, diary etc etc all fell on the floor.:eek:

I had to get on my hands and knees to pick it all up. I never went in the place for a month afterwards...:o

I think folks were more annoyed that the queue was held up, rather than interested in what had fallen on the floor....

• Author
disneyfan90

Thanks for the responses everyone. I've decided to not to think about it so much--I'm sure people forget eventually.

I wouldn't even say that's the worst thing I did that night. I made sure to leave super early to get to the wedding on time, but I got terribly lost while driving. I just couldn't find my way back, so I guess it made no difference that I left so early. This made me about 10 minutes late to the ceremony. I'm almost always on time to every event, so I feel absolutely awful about this. I know that a wedding is one of those things you really should not be late to, so I just feel so terrible.

The other terrible thing I did--which I didn't realize was so bad--was that I bought a boxed gift to the wedding that was not on their registry. Only after the wedding did I realize that I should've had it mailed to their house and given them something off the registry. I had no idea I wasn't supposed to do this. My family comes from a different culture where weddings are done totally differently and I had no clue what to expect.

I feel like such an awful person now, and what makes this worse is that I really like this couple. They both did tell me that they really liked having me there, but I can't shake off this feeling. I know I messed up big time. But I've learned my lessons for the future, and I know I'll never repeat these mistakes again.

Should I apologize to my friend for these things, or just not mention them?

Do not apologize for it! To me registries are like Christmas lists - you'd prefer those things, but people don't always get you what you asked for. If they get mad that you bought them something else, then they don't have very good character and aren't friends.

Shake it off. Don't stress.