When a close friend gets new friends and changes?

I used to be very close friends with a girl who's a few years younger than me, I'm 25 and she's 21. We met when I was 23 and she 19, she was new to the country and we lived in the same student residency.

We became good friends very quickly, did everything together and talked about everything. I went to visit her country that summer, about 6 months after meeting her and stayed with her and her family who were very welcoming and gave me an awesome vacation. :)

In the past couple of years she became really busy with her university course (I had graduated before I met her). I have a couple of other friends my age who did that course and I know how hectic it can get. Recently she finished it, and we met up.

I was really looking forward to meeting her and I hoped she was really excited to see me as well, but when we met it was clear to me that she had changed a lot. She was not interested in my life, our conversations were superficial and quite one-sided, her talking about her current life. There was no depth to any words that either of us exchanged. She told me about a bunch of new friends who she goes out with a lot, they are her coursemates and they all go out together after class.

When we were very close, I was her only friend. Now that she has a lot, I've faded into the background it seems. In all honesty I did not really enjoy that meetup. :(

It seems to me that she has 'outgrown' me as a friend and that she has matured into a woman who doesn't feel the need for me. Should I drop this or try?

You're at the age when old friends move on away from you and you'll make new ones. The reason for this is because this age range is an accelerated time of personal growth, finding your niche, discovering yourself and the world.

Don't take it personally and don't try to hang on to her. It will only prolong your unhappiness. She is simply moving in a different direction. You're not meant to be together as friends or anything else. You had your time and no one can take that from you.