How do I thank a total stranger?

disneyfan90

disneyfan90

This might be in the wrong section lol, but just looking for some thoughts. I ended up with a flat tire today for the very first time. Slightly panicked, I pulled into a parking lot, ready to call a friend of mine for help because I had no idea what to do. There was only one person in the parking lot, just sitting on his motorcycle. He asked if I needed any help and I told him I was okay, but he came over anyway. When he came over, he not only changed my tire but taught me how to do it, going through the entire process. He would do something, and then wait for me to do it again so I knew how to do it. I'm glad to say that I finally know how to change a tire, should this ever happen again.

I thanked him several times, telling him that I truly appreciated his help, but I just don't feel that's enough. I just wish I could do something to repay him but I have no idea who he is! I also wish I had interacted with him a bit more. He asked me questions about myself, but I could hardly make any conversation with him because I was too shocked by what happened. I'm usually not like that--I can be pretty friendly.

Is there any way to thank a complete stranger? Should I have said anything more to him right before leaving? I just feel so bad that he took the time to help me out, but I'm in complete awe of his kindness. I was so lucky.

• Like 1

Helping you made him feel good, plus you thanked him, so he's good. Do the same for someone else sometime, as Satu said.

• Like 3
whichwayisup
This might be in the wrong section lol, but just looking for some thoughts. I ended up with a flat tire today for the very first time. Slightly panicked, I pulled into a parking lot, ready to call a friend of mine for help because I had no idea what to do. There was only one person in the parking lot, just sitting on his motorcycle. He asked if I needed any help and I told him I was okay, but he came over anyway. When he came over, he not only changed my tire but taught me how to do it, going through the entire process. He would do something, and then wait for me to do it again so I knew how to do it. I'm glad to say that I finally know how to change a tire, should this ever happen again.

I thanked him several times, telling him that I truly appreciated his help, but I just don't feel that's enough. I just wish I could do something to repay him but I have no idea who he is! I also wish I had interacted with him a bit more. He asked me questions about myself, but I could hardly make any conversation with him because I was too shocked by what happened. I'm usually not like that--I can be pretty friendly.

Is there any way to thank a complete stranger? Should I have said anything more to him right before leaving? I just feel so bad that he took the time to help me out, but I'm in complete awe of his kindness. I was so lucky.

How do you thank him? Pay it forward. Help a stranger and make someone's day.

Edit to add: I see we all are sharing the same brain on this one!

• Like 1
  • Author
disneyfan90

Thanks for all the replies. I have helped in the past, and certainly will do it more in the future. I'm always amazed when I see strangers help each other out--it's such a nice thing to see.

I love hearing about random acts of kindness! Use this as a reminder to be kind and courteous to everyone around you, even strangers.

• Like 1
amaysngrace

How do you know he didn't put nails in the road and then wait?

You're lucky you didn't get murdered by him. Call cops.

How do you know he didn't put nails in the road and then wait?

You're lucky you didn't get murdered by him. Call cops.

It's really a shame that most of society feels this exact same way as this comment. I think that is why a person doesn't know how to react when someone actually does do something nice for them. Their in shock that the person didn't kill them. It's one thing to be safe and cautious, but it's another to just be plain out paranoid.

I think what everyone else has said is the way to go. Pay it forward, do some volunteer work, or donate to a charity. It's good Karma!

Pay it forward.

Help somebody else as kindly as he helped you.

One of my all time favorite thoughts

Don't think don't fret

Just pay it forward...

• Like 1