What does it mean when a guy does this?

purplesoccer34

purplesoccer34

Suppose a guy picks a girl up from somewhere, and then they're going to meet some friends. The guy says, "We can go to a bar and grab a drink if you want, before meeting up with everyone" and the girl says, "But our friends are waiting for us." The guy tells her that the friends won't mind, and pretty much insists that they stop by the bar. The girl reluctantly agrees and they get a drink. They don't stay very long of course, because their friends are waiting.

What does this even mean? Is it normal for a guy friend to go to a bar with another one of his female friends alone?

Frank2thepoint

I would have first thought that guy was interested in the girl, but since you mentioned they didn't stay that long, I figure the guy just wanted to get a drink. And yes, friends that are opposite gender can have drinks together alone. They are just friends.

It doesn't mean anything other than he wanted a drink. It may mean he is selfish & doesn't respect other people's time.

What you are really asking is does this mean he likes you? From that alone, I can't tell. Did he open the door to the bar for you? Who paid? Where did you both sit? What kind of eye contact was there? Those things are more telling then his desire to go to a bar.

• Like 1

He perhaps wanted time alone with her in the bar because he likes her, he maybe wanted to ask her out, but her insistent, but "our friends are waiting" perhaps put him off his stride and he chickened out, or he thought she wasn't interested in him.

He may on the other hand have wanted a drink to steady his nerves before they met in with the crowd. Not everyone is comfortable with crowds, even if they are friends, he maybe needed some "Dutch courage".

• Like 1