Should I tell my friend to stop complaining about his ex?

Intrepidcaribou

Intrepidcaribou

Otherwise, he's a nice guy. I don't find him physically attractive but he has told me he wants to settle down and have a family some day (he's 30). We could be talking about something totally unrelated and he'll bring up how his ex cheated on him and put him in debt etc etc. They split 6 years ago and she lives 1000 miles away. It's extremely unattractive and women are going to avoid him if he keeps it up. Should I tell him?

Usually when the topic comes up after this long, its because the person is not being listened too or hasn't put it to rest. Have you openly listened and validated this reality he shares? Whether it happened yesterday or years ago, its a concern that needs to be placed in perspective. Discuss it and then resolve it or work towards assisting him to resolve it. If he is clinging to this attitude then he isn't ready to move on....You'll know when its addressed.

• Author
Intrepidcaribou
Usually when the topic comes up after this long, its because the person is not being listened too or hasn't put it to rest. Have you openly listened and validated this reality he shares? Whether it happened yesterday or years ago, its a concern that needs to be placed in perspective. Discuss it and then resolve it or work towards assisting him to resolve it. If he is clinging to this attitude then he isn't ready to move on....You'll know when its addressed.

I really have no clue what to say. I'm 28 and have never been in a relationship -- but he doesn't know that. I'm the last person in the world who should be giving relationship advice.