Having a Tough Time Making New Friends

CrystalShine2011

CrystalShine2011

I'm currently in community college and it has never been so hard to meet like minded people that would like to start a friendship. I'm more outgoing than shy (but not outrageously so) and feel like I truly have tried to reach out to people.

What are other ways to strike up a friendship? Most of the people I knew in high school have moved out of state and no longer really reach out to me on social websites like they used to.

Where did YOU meet your best friend? I will take any advice. :)

I met my current best friend in middle school while playing a game of Magic the Gathering during lunch. Ever since then many of my friends have come and gone, mostly because I just don't keep in touch with everyone. I'm more of a visual/ physical person, which makes online contact difficult for me. This is why I have issues keeping in touch. That's about as simple as it gets with me, my best friend is basically the one who will either let me hang out at their place or come to mine and be good company. :p

As for advice on how to make friends, I'd say try joining a club or pick up a hobby that doesn't keep you inside. That's how I've made most of my friends. I can't give very good information on how to keep them though. lol

Edited by nomad550
forgot to answer a question
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I actually told one of my friends from a gym that I was starting to get depressed from not seeming to meet or (should I say keep people). I have been out with her friends a couple times. Then started joining this group for grads/professionals and just have been trying to go out as much as I could without it interfering with school. Other people feel this way as well, just have to put yourself a little out there. Community colleges are hard to meet people since a lot are older or second degree students trying to get into a grad program.

Join activities. Take up new hobbies. Work a part-time restaurant or retail job because you usually meet new friends doing that at work and with the clientele. Check with the campus activities or volunteer director and see if there's anything you can volunteer for that will get you involved more on campus. Get on the school's Facebook and be active on there. Suggest meetups, etc. Go up to people you might like to hang out with and ask them if there's a place students hang out for a beer. Maybe they'll invite you or you'll see them there sometime and talk to them.

• Like 3
  • Author
CrystalShine2011

I just started a new job and I've been meeting a lot of new people...so fingers cross that I click with some of them.

I feel you. I feel like people always say "join clubs, activities" but that isn't really helpful when you join it and still nothing. I'd like to add on that: the easiest way to make friends is to join a ton of activities. However, don't waste time on the ones that don't seem friendly. Furthermore, try and join ones where the same sets of people overlap. I made most of my friends when I joined a club, and then I saw those same people in a class, then I formed a study group and the same people showed up. Its familiarity.