Friend that tries too hard

Intrepidcaribou

Intrepidcaribou

He's my coworker and a really nice guy. He buys Tims for the office. He's always the first one to do someone a favour, help them move, dogsit, drive someone somewhere, buy lunch etc. He's 31 and divorced (he was extremely young). He even apologized profusely for saying my last name wrong. The thing is he doesn't have to do all this. He is a truly likeable person and everyone thinks well of him. He is a successful professional but seems insecure and unhappy.

evanescentworld
He's my coworker and a really nice guy. He buys Tims for the office. He's always the first one to do someone a favour, help them move, dogsit, drive someone somewhere, buy lunch etc. He's 31 and divorced (he was extremely young). He even apologized profusely for saying my last name wrong. The thing is he doesn't have to do all this. He is a truly likeable person and everyone thinks well of him. He is a successful professional but seems insecure and unhappy.

How do you know this?

Is it something you suspect, or something you have seen for yourself?

There are two possibilities:

One is that you may be mistaken, and that you're reading a reason behind his altruism, because it's an alien concept to you,

or

the other is that he actually has an agenda - he's doing this to be popular, liked and feel needed, because he lacks friendship and company....

Either way, there is some assumption on your part....

• Like 1

Sounds like a nice person to me. Is there some reason this is setting off red flags to you? He may be a people pleaser and yes, may want to make new friends. There are people who are overly giving because they think it buys them something in return, but usually someone will pick up on that pretty quickly because there is bitterness attached to them.

I'd give friendship a chance with him but it being workplace, don't divulge too much of your personal or business business.

Atticus9292012

I don't really see the problem with any of this. Maybe it rings disingenuous to you? You post almost comes off as jealous....like you can't do those things and it bothers you?