New roommate- He's hitting on me

bluebunnyy2012

bluebunnyy2012

Hey everyone!

I recently moved to SoCal for school, and work. I'm 20 years old, female. I spent roughly 3 months looking for a place, and ultimately found something. My situation is as follows-

I'm living with a 30 year old male, he has a daughter. He's employed, works as a financial advisor. I'm in a relationship, he knows that. Most of the time I'm not there, I leave at 6am and I'm not back before 10pm. I've only lived there for about 3 weeks. We have seperate rooms, and don't share a bathroom. The only shared space is the kitchen and living room.

About a week ago, he offered me a massage, then quickly said "just kidding". Then last night, he's drunk, knocks on my door and tells me he thinks "I'm a beautiful woman, inside and out" and that he'd marry me if he could.

I wrote it off because he was drunk, it still made me uncomfortable though.

Now as a college student, I'm not in the position to spend money frivolously, I have a budget, and my paycheck all goes to something- there's no wriggle room.

This morning, he asks me to pay a bill for him because he is having trouble with his card. I told him I don't have the money, he offers me cash, and I let him know I'm unable to go to the bank immediately because of work/school.

He seems to understand. Then later today, he asks me to pay for an Uber ride for him. Again, because his card isn't working. I suggested he go to the bank, and he "doesn't have the time".

My question for you is, do you think I have anything to worry about? What should I do? I've never found myself in this position before.

Thanks for your help!

I'm curious as to why you chose not to live in the college dorms, or student housing that is off campus, which is covered by financial aid usually.

That is not a safe rental situation for you to be in. First, he makes sexual advances towards you with a massage, then he hits on you when he's drunk, then he asks you to pay his bills??? What you have is a single dad who is taking advantage of a young, naive college student; and the likelihood of your rental situation getting worse, (a lot worse) is 100%. Then he'll ask you to cover his portion of rent, and other inappropriate things; and it is pretty obvious what those are.

The first thing you need to do is give him your notice that you're moving out. No ifs, ands or buts about it. You have got to move out of there.

Then go to your college campus student office (each college has a different name for it), and check for roommate postings either via billboards or online. And, check Craigslist again for college student postings for a roommate.

Edited by writergal
  • Like 1
WonderWoman911

I would be looking for somewhere else to live. I seriously don't like his behaviors.You've only been there for 3 weeks and things may get worst in the future. He's definitely trying to take advantage of you, financially and physically. You don't want to feel uncomfortable in your place of stay. Please find somewhere else to live: on campus,family member(s) house, friend's place, or another room to rent.

• Like 1