What is the difference between a friend and a good/close friend, really?

musicalsteve82

I guess it's different for everyone, but to me a close friend is usually someone who has withstood the test of time without betraying me or abandoning me just because she's in a relationship or has kids or whatever other reason. So being trustworthy and consistent in the friendship.

Just friends are usually people I can have fun with from time to time or people attached to my close friends more than me, but that either there's not that much of a mutual friendly attraction or they haven't proven themselves long-term friends yet.

I can consider someone a lifelong friend even if we don't get to see each other often, as long as I know in my mind and by their actions that they genuinely care how I'm doing. For example, just this week two of my ex-bfs, one major and one minor, both touched base within 24 hours and it's been 35-40 years since we dated. One is taking me to a concert who I haven't seen in the flesh for 10 years but keep up with via email, and the other wanted me to know he moved to the country (who I also haven't seen for nearly 10 years) and catch up a little and be sure he still had my current info. I consider them both good guys that even though they have their own families and lives, really cared enough to keep up with me over a lifetime and they know my interest in them is genuine. In some ways, we inspired each other, and that's why they want me to know how they're doing and want to be sure I'm doing okay. Good friends really contribute to making you who you are and become a part of you.

• Like 1