So her parents don't want us to be friends..

ThatKidBilly

Within the first year I met her, her parents considered me one of the best guys she met because I'm not your typical yob that just is out there for sex with as many girls as possible, like her most of our goals were really the same although her parents in particular always felt ill about her seeing guys especially from the internet, because she was raped by a guy.

When we had our first serious fight some 6 months after, everything blew out of proportion, but nothing really massively too big. However I mentioned to her about two weeks afterward about some stalker that's going around town, admittedly I didn't really make it all to clear to her and her parents thought that I was saying I'm a stalker, which then they told her to never speak to me again, which is understandable, If i was in their position I probably would have done the same.

I noticed things went off, and even more blew out of proportion, but she never deleted me even after saying a lot of 'colorful' things which she later apologized for, I straightened the whole story out to her and she completely understood things just got taken the wrong way, although when she later talked to her parents that I had nothing to do with it they still told her not to speak to me again, which she didn't follow through with.

About a year later we still talked quite often like everyday, although pretty less direct than we did back then, we never talked over the phone, never skyped, never met up, nothing. In September she dated a guy that goes locally to my college, I was happy for them but after say a week or two they broke up. Around December we were getting closer on a pretty good level and she said that we "Need to meet up in the new year:)" which I was up for, build bridges between us again as in regards to about 99% of the guys she knows I haven't screwed her around, and I haven't done anything to spite her which she has said she highly appreciates me for.

Around say early this month it came out that the guy she dated in September that I mentioned cheated on her twice, and was going around about how he reported both me to the college even though I've never seen spoken to or really know anything about the guy, and her about how she was a pathetic controlling manipulative girlfriend. I learned about this through her where first I laughed about it especially when I've never talked to him, but then it started to get a little personal when he was verbally threatening both me and her over Facebook. (I don't have her on Facebook, her parents forced her to delete me back then) I haven't done anything yet about it, but If it does continue I may just file a report against him to the college then leave it.

Anyhow recently the topic of meeting up again came up, she said that she had some time this week in-between exams which I was happy for, if anything just about three hours is enough for us to have a bit of a catchup and to help her with her revision. But, then she mentioned how her parents would "kill" her for seeing me again, I can understand why because of the misunderstanding we had, but I still did nothing wrong.

Then again, they don't really know me anymore than what happened with the misunderstanding, I mentioned to her about if she talked to her parents personally about how much I've been there for nearly two years to help her, and how I'm going to stop her ex from spreading a stupid amount of bull**it about her, they would see that I don't mean any harm.

What's there to do?

Edit: I'm just over 18, and she's 17 but still lives at home.

• Author
You're going to have to give details about this stalker discussion before I can make any sense of this. Details.

Will do.

Well with the stalker situation I was talking to her about an article I read that was on local news, I didn't think it was really much if not anything at first, just brought it up to bring up some friendly conversation on local news. I made a casual joke here and there something along the lines of "Damn it they found me!;):laugh:" just really making light of the situation, no harm intended, but not really anything worse than that.

I guess it was how her parents preceded how light I was that they just went into overdrive, since it wasn't really common to bring up news around that sort of nature even so it was local, I think it was mostly an overreaction on their part if anything. (But considering she was raped I don't really blame them, I think if I was her father and I heard the same I would probably do what they did).

They weren't taking any chances. I'm sure her parents are worried about her a lot. What will have to happen is if you and her end up thinking this is going to go forward in an exclusive arrangement (and realize you're really young to try to commit to all that), she'll have to at some point let her folks know and then they'll find you and her disrespectful for not going away when they asked you to. The only thing you'll have on your side is time. If she is honest with them that she kept talking to you and now has a year in or whatever getting to know you, they may or may not relent. First, if she's "underage" according to your state laws, her folks could get nasty and put you in a legal situation. Second, she's living at home, so she has to abide by their rules.

I don't really think you have a card to play here. It's really up to her whether she wants to approach her parents about seeing you again or not. She may or may not want to stir the pot -- and if she is underage in your state, then you must tell her not to and just wait until she's legal or risk way too much. At some point, you should ask her if they're still mad or if she thinks it might be worth asking about. But only if you think and she thinks it's worth all the drama.