What could he have meant by this?

disneyfan90

I'm really confused by something that a friend of mine said, and I wanted to know if he meant anything by it.

Apparently some time ago (around 6 months ago) a girl friend of mine told him that I hooked up with some guy. He asked a lot of questions about it but she told him she wasn't sure about the details--although what she told him wasn't true. There was a misunderstanding and I never hooked up with anyone. But ever since that time, my guy friend keeps bringing this up. He laughs and jokingly says things like, "Why did she have to tell me that you hooked up with someone? That's gross. She could've just kept that between the two of you."

So recently I hung out with this guy friend and a few of his buddies. They were all drinking and this guy friend of mine said to his friend, "Her friend told me that she hooked up with someone and I can't get that crap out of my head." His friend then looked at him with a little surprise.

Couldn't get it out of his head? I'm surprised he's still thinking about it, even though it supposedly happened 6 months ago. I told him many times that I never hooked up with anyone but he says he doesn't believe me, and always gives me a hard time about it. Is it possible that he's bothered by the idea of me doing such a thing? I know he doesn't like me, because he always tries to set me up with his friends.

Don't hang out with him anymore, he seems weird. Can you give some more background? Who is your guy friend, what's his life like, what does he do, etc... and who is this mystery guy you did but didn't hook up with? Perhaps there might be some jealousy involved. Whatever it may be, the alcohol brought it out of him, he can't get the idea of you with some guy out of his mind, that's saying something about him and you need to pick your distance accordingly.

Well, your guy friend is judgy and gossips too much, so I would just not talk to him much.

Anytime a friend comes to you and says another friend told them something, don't even comment about what the friend said -- instead, immediately tell them to get the person that told them that on the phone right now. Half the time, it's one or the other making crap up. Get them all together at once and get to the bottom of it.

This guy thinks women are dirty who hookup. So whether you hooked up or not, he's a backwards idiot.

I think it's pretty obvious that it bothers him, whether it's because he's jealous, or because he doesn't like the guy you supposedly hooked up with, or because he thinks you shouldn't be doing that kind of thing. It doesn't matter why it bothers him, it's really none of his business and he needs to stop bringing it up, especially to other people. What was he even trying to do by telling his friend? Shame you?

If he's a good friend and you want to try to stay friends, tell him to stop. "You've repeatedly brought up the rumor you heard and it makes me uncomfortable each time you do it. I felt like you were trying to embarrass me when you told your friend about it the other night. I'm asking you to stop bringing it up." If he tries to argue about it or explain himself, just hear him out for a minute then say, "Okay. I don't want to talk about this again. Talk to you later. Bye." There's no need for any back-and-forth conversation about this. Just say what you need to and be done.