New Friends

I began a divorce in 2011. I moved after 2 years of seperation and abuse to a new state.

Over the years I lost nearly all of my friends and the last one's that I was hanging on to left my side when I moved to another state. We lost touch.

While I found a few friends in neighbors, I am still left with a very tiny set of friends.

How do I start making new friends (Im 30 with a special kid!)

While I was married I was so overwhelmed with coming back to who I was, abuse, kids, and life, that I just don't even know what it means to have friends anymore!

I talk to everyone, but I am at a loss on how to initiate friendship anymore.

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

What type of friend(s) are you looking for? If it's a must the person lives within close range of you, then activities you enjoy would be a great place to meet like minded people. I've no experience with myself but perhaps something like meetup.com would be an idea. Maybe there are other members on this board who have tried it or similar.

I've always met people through activities I enjoyed, both online as well as offline. It's not for everyone but sport is a really great place to meet friends. I'd also recommend not being too set on a certain age range, because you can meet fun people of all ages who share the same values as you, which also would make it easier to get past the initial conversation and interest someone to spend more time with you.

There's really many possibilities to meet and make friends anywhere it mainly depends on you and what you feel you need to brighten your day a bit more.

• Like 1
  • Author

I tried meetup -- I don't really like that.

But I was thinking about joining hockey lol

or going back to the roller derby.

Or something.

Yes, do some activity you like. Also, you should befriend other parents of special kids through whatever structures there are in place for that where you live so that sometimes your child will be welcome, but do get a sitter and have a life apart from your child as well.