Talks when They need Something

frozengirl

We've all had these types of friends, the one's that rarely talk to you, then talk to you for a while straight to only ask you for something that they need.

For me this has happened quite a bit, as of right now, I have a friend who has done this and is doing it currently, he's been talking to me on and off lately but only because him and his mother are living on the streets homeless, and starving.

They did not re-apply for food stamps and didn't get their monthly check to pay for rent so they are again homeless. BUT this guy has a working cell phone? Anyway he keeps asking me to help him out by sending him money for food and who knows what else.

Should I give in and send him money or let him be? What would you do in a situation like this?

We've all had these types of friends, the one's that rarely talk to you, then talk to you for a while straight to only ask you for something that they need.

For me this has happened quite a bit, as of right now, I have a friend who has done this and is doing it currently, he's been talking to me on and off lately but only because him and his mother are living on the streets homeless, and starving.

They did not re-apply for food stamps and didn't get their monthly check to pay for rent so they are again homeless. BUT this guy has a working cell phone? Anyway he keeps asking me to help him out by sending him money for food and who knows what else.

Should I give in and send him money or let him be? What would you do in a situation like this?

Tell him you aren't comfortable giving or lending money, but you'd love to catch up.

• Like 1

are there really homeless and starving ppl?

i thought there would be church or charities helping, find out and tell your friend of the addresses, not easy

they might ask you to move in, i would be cautious, unless you can pay for three people

Instead of giving money (because who knows if there's a drug or alcohol problem happening) give him a gift card to a grocery store. You could also get food stamps for them.

• Like 1
You could also get food stamps for them.

How do you get food stamps for someone else? Wouldn't that be fraud?

OP, your money won't get them out of homelessness. Give them money if you want to, and if you can afford it, but know that your money ultimately won't solve any of their problems. But don't feel bad for saying no.

How do you get food stamps for someone else? Wouldn't that be fraud?

OP, your money won't get them out of homelessness. Give them money if you want to, and if you can afford it, but know that your money ultimately won't solve any of their problems. But don't feel bad for saying no.

She can go order them on behalf of that family. She said from the opening post that did not re apply for food stamps, so I'm sure if she went and explained the situation, paid for it and brought the friend with her, they could give them the stamps right there.

She can go order them on behalf of that family. She said from the opening post that did not re apply for food stamps, so I'm sure if she went and explained the situation, paid for it and brought the friend with her, they could give them the stamps right there.

I think the food stamps the OP was talking about are the free ones issued but government not the ones you go and buy directly from the shop (aka voucher).

If I could afford it I would get vouchers for a local supermarket and take them to him.

The problem with situations like this is that you never know for sure what else is going on. You could very easily be taken advantage of.

Never loan in situations like this. Always view it as a gift as it is unlikely that you will ever get it back.

• Like 1
  • Author

I told my friend to go to the Red Cross but he says they're filled up and can't accept anymore people. And his mom is in the hospital. By the way him and I don't live in the same state so sending him anything would cost a bit.

I told my friend to go to the Red Cross but he says they're filled up and can't accept anymore people. And his mom is in the hospital. By the way him and I don't live in the same state so sending him anything would cost a bit.

So you don't even know 100% for sure if this is all true..It's possible that it's a ploy for you to send money. Though I hope that's not the case...Well both scenarios suck, fact that they are homeless and struggling, or he's trying to scam money from you.

He must have other friends or family members to help out.