I want to bail on friend...again

ccxc910

si I have this friend who I have known for years. He's very dependable and a good friend and all. He lives almost two hours away and wants to visit sometimes but only problem with him is he talks TOO MUCH it's impossible to get him off the phone even when I say I gotta go he just keeps going for another 20 minutes until I have to get rude. And when he talks he just goes on and on giving numerous examples to get his point across its so unecessary. I feel like he talks AT me and not WITH me he is so opinionated and repeats himself ugh. So he said he would come up for my birthday a month ago but I was actually really tired and had a lot to do that weekend so I bailed. The. He suggested we go hiking one weekend this month. I like to drink and smoke and he doesn't and I just feel drained around him. I just don't want to tie down my weekend like that my time off from work is precious to me. Idk how or if I should tell him dude you just talk too much and how to bail myself out (again)

When you use the word "bail" does that mean that you make plans and then flake out? If that's what's happening, please just stop making plans with him in the first place. Being bailed on can be pretty hurtful.

Idk how or if I should tell him dude you just talk too much

You should tell him, nicely. You said he's a good friend and dependable. He was willing to travel two hours to spend your birthday with you, he invites you to good, clean fun activities. He sounds pretty cool. He's just got that one little annoying habit. You could work with that, if you wanted to.

For example, say, you're hiking. He hasn't stopped talking. You can say, "Cool stories, bro. Let's just hike in silence for a while." Or on the phone, "Hey, I have to go in like 5 minutes." Wait five minutes, then say, "Well, I gotta go now. Talk to you later." In conversation, if he goes on and on, change the subject to something he can't really talk about. Or create a diversion. "Have you seen this movie/video game/magazine/tv show/app? Check it out." Or, since you mentioned it, maybe have some drinks and smokes around him and suddenly he'll be very interesting and you might actually get into chitchatting with him and enjoy it. Worth a shot?

And try to cut him some slack. Maybe he talks so much because he's excited to hear from you. Maybe he doesn't have that many close friends he can talk to like he talks to you. Maybe he really, really likes you and appreciates your friendship.