crazy dude at college

shreddinglicks

shreddinglicks

I have this guy in my calc 3 class. He wanted to cheat off me for tests and quiz's. He offered me $50 a test. I was hesitant but agreed because he would probably cheat regardless. I just told him if he's caught I don't know anything. During our 1st quiz, he tried to do his cheating game and the teacher caught on. The teacher sat behind us for the remainder of the quiz. I got a 90%, he got a %50.

He then approached me after class and said that he needs me to teach him because he can't cheat anymore. So I agreed to help him out and told him to buy me lunch. I was under the impression he needed just a little bit of help. I was wrong.

I met up with him, and ended up spending 4 hours with him going over calc 3 material. The guy couldn't even do basic algebra. I am under the impression he just cheated his way through school.

He then wanted to meet up again somewhere on the range of 4-8 hours a week. I told him I didn't want to. He then said he would pay me $250 for the semester. I told him he was out of his mind. He was not going to find anybody willing to tutor him for peanuts. I then left.

He then starts blowing up my phone with texts. Saying I am greedy friend. I just told him he was nuts and irrational. I repeated to him that nobody is gonna tutor him for peanuts. I then said if he was a friend he would not try to pay me in peanuts. That I was doing this only for his convenience, that he should be grateful on not bitchy.

I think I need to avoid this guy unless he agrees to pay me $10 bucks an hour. Still lenient by average tutor fees. What do you think?

• Author
shreddinglicks
I saw don't do business with a cheater. He'll probably just cheat you too.

I agree, I keep trying to tell him the deal and it doesn't seem to sink in either.

Wow, I can barely do basic algebra but I'm only in Calc 1. How the hell did this guy manage to get into Calc 3?

Anytime he contacts you just reply with your terms for the tutoring and nothing else.

Eventually he'd either pay up, or leave you alone.

If he does agree to your terms, make sure he pays you in advance.

• Author
shreddinglicks
Wow, I can barely do basic algebra but I'm only in Calc 1. How the hell did this guy manage to get into Calc 3?

Anytime he contacts you just reply with your terms for the tutoring and nothing else.

Eventually he'd either pay up, or leave you alone.

If he does agree to your terms, make sure he pays you in advance.

You will get very good at algebra once you do calculus. Assuming you don't cheat.

Obviously he skated by with cheating. He just texted me saying, WTF. He seems to think $250 for 152 hours of tutoring is gonna cut it for me. That's less than $2 an hour.

Not to mention I am taking differential equations, engineering statics, and computer drafting as well. Plus I am in a heavy metal band. I am currently in the process of building a hot-rod. My time is not easily thrown away. This guy does not seem to get it.

I think I need to avoid this guy unless he agrees to pay me $10 bucks an hour. Still lenient by average tutor fees. What do you think?

That's still peanuts...so, you're being very generous.

Suggest to the guy to go to Khan Academy on YouTube. Then, and only then, *IF* he can prove to you (to YOUR satisfaction) that he's making his own proper efforts, then you've got a maximum of 1.5 to 2 hours a week for him...and at your super-friend's super-discount rate.

Basically, it sounds like the guy is still looking to skate through. You're right to keep your distance. I'd have blocked him from being able to contact me, by now.

• Like 1
  • Author
shreddinglicks
That's still peanuts...so, you're being very generous.

Suggest to the guy to go to Khan Academy on YouTube. Then, and only then, *IF* he can prove to you (to YOUR satisfaction) that he's making his own proper efforts, then you've got a maximum of 1.5 to 2 hours a week for him...and at your super-friend's super-discount rate.

Basically, it sounds like the guy is still looking to skate through. You're right to keep your distance. I'd have blocked him from being able to contact me, by now.

Yes, I told him. That if anyone was not being a friend, it was him for trying to cheap me. He wanted me to guarantee him A's. I told him no tutor could do that. It was up to him to take the resources and study.

If anything I am a pal to offer to tutor at $10 an hour. The guy didn't know algebra, trigonometry, how to take derivatives, or integrate. There is no way I can teach him all that in one semester. Obviously he's a slacker/cheater.

I also told him it was very generous of me to let him cheat off me for $50 bucks. That I was not comfortable with the idea, but let it slide to be a pal to him.

All he did was try to guilt trip me when I told him what I posted here. Telling me I'm a bad, greedy friend. Obviously he is just trying to take advantage of me.

If he tries to cheat off me on our quiz this coming Tuesday. I'm just gonna change seats. It'll just show he's that thick headed.

Edited by shreddinglicks