Fair weather friend?

ThursdayChild

ThursdayChild

Hi everyone...may I have some advice/opinions please?

I was recently called a "fair weather friend". I don't really know what that means....but to give a bit of history that I've posted here about...a friend told me she had been very ill with mental health issues and I responded that lame drama seemed so attracted to her. I didn't know what else to say. I then invited her to a celebratory event for myself and she accepted the invitation.

I like to get together with her under positive circumstances and thought it'd be nice to invite her. A few days ago she asked me for a reference letter for a job interview. I didn't get back to her because I didn't have the time. She called me a fair weather friend. What does this even mean?

Thanks everyone

She called me a fair weather friend. What does this even mean?

That you are only around when everything is lovely and rosy and peachy-keen. But when she REALLY needs something or someone, you vanish or are as if a ghost.

I get that you had good intentions, but inviting someone to some kind of 'party' at which you are the honourary is not the same as being there to just listen to whatever challenge they are dealing with, or struggle they are facing.

A fair weather friend is a person who stops being a friend in in a difficult time.

Well, you sound like you were a fair weather friend to this friend, when you called her mental health issues "lame drama." That's pretty mean, frankly to say that to someone and not expect them to have their feelings hurt. I remember that thread too. It already seems to me like you two aren't very compatible as friends anyway. You don't really like her, so why do you keep her around? To fill up a guest spot at your parties?

• Like 1

You only like her when she's fun. Your comment about her mental illness was really heartless. If I were her, I'd have cut you off right then.

I agree with the above posters and would like to add that with your attitude you're lucky to be any sort of 'friend' at all.

I agree and the fact that you don't send thank you notes to your friends after they have spent hard earned money to buy you a gift. I would definitely say you are a fair weather friend. I really think you should stop pretending to be a friend to these people.