Dealing with my best friend

My best friend is more like my twin brother. We've been best friend since kindergarten and he knows everything about me. I am a new father and a recovering addict and drinker. My best friend is also a user, so in my attempt to get clean I told him i had to stop seeing him for awhile.

He thinks it's a joke. He always texts me about his most recent benders and sends pictures of himself with booze. "Come over, man." He isn't taking it seriously and truth be told I almost broke recently. He makes cracks at my having a baby too. He knows it wasn't planned and I'm not thrilled but still rubs it in.

I'm sick of sobriety and I miss my friend. I miss my life.

I don't know what to do.

1. Get yourself to the nearest AA meeting NOW! You will find the support you need to overcome obstacles and threats to our sobriety.

2. Stop llistening to, talking to the jerk who USED TO BE your best friend. a real friend would not attempt to undermine your achievements & encourage you to risk your relationship with your child.

3. Make new friends.

Getting sober isn't easy, and maintaining it can be even harder, but if you stay determined, you can overcome the urge to backslide and find joy in being sober. Be proud of yourself! The progress you have made is commendable--don't throw it away.

Good luck!

• Like 3

I would agree you need some AA support now. It will give you some people who don't think it's a joke to talk to. You may have to block your friend, who is being a real dick and not caring at all about your wellbeing, which isn't very friendlike.

whichwayisup
My best friend is more like my twin brother. We've been best friend since kindergarten and he knows everything about me. I am a new father and a recovering addict and drinker. My best friend is also a user, so in my attempt to get clean I told him i had to stop seeing him for awhile.

He thinks it's a joke. He always texts me about his most recent benders and sends pictures of himself with booze. "Come over, man." He isn't taking it seriously and truth be told I almost broke recently. He makes cracks at my having a baby too. He knows it wasn't planned and I'm not thrilled but still rubs it in.

I'm sick of sobriety and I miss my friend. I miss my life.

I don't know what to do.

You need to cut him out of your life. Sure he was your best friend, but he is still into drugs and that scene and you're not anymore.

Decide what is more important. Drugs and booze and partying it up vs being a good father to your baby daughter and being clean and sober.

Go to AA.