Pretty sure my room mate is stealing my medication

Hello again everyone.

I take an Rx once nightly every day. A refill comes with a quantity of 30, for almost an entire month.

Well... lately I've been noticing the need for erratic refill dates. Dates that just don't add up.

I refilled on the 23rd of June. Its currently July 12th and I have 2 remaining. That is NOT 30.

I'm skeptical about confronting him without catching him in the act. Any advice?

Count how many pills you have every day before you take one.

If you notice something wrong, talk to him.

Perhaps you could keep your medication in your car, and just take out a pill at the end of the day. In addition, if your roommate is a good roommate in most respects, then I wouldn't say anything, but if he is problematic, then you may want to move, if possible.

EvelyneConnor

Move the medication - hide it, put it in a locked box. Look out for any other signs of deviance. If the phenomenon continues, you have an infestation of Thievus thievus. This parasite will have taken over your roomie's body, and nothing will dislodge it. Nothing you'd want to do, anyway. In case he comes across as a chronic thief, get out of there.

whichwayisup
Hello again everyone.

I take an Rx once nightly every day. A refill comes with a quantity of 30, for almost an entire month.

Well... lately I've been noticing the need for erratic refill dates. Dates that just don't add up.

I refilled on the 23rd of June. Its currently July 12th and I have 2 remaining. That is NOT 30.

I'm skeptical about confronting him without catching him in the act. Any advice?

Hide your meds, don't leave anything out.

Don't put them in your car the temperature fluctuates too much.

Smilecharmer

Unfortunately, Ambien is addictive so confronting him will do little good as addicts lie. I agree with getting a firebox, put your important papers in there in case of a fire in apartment and viola, you have a reason for having a lock box where you can put away your script under lock and key. I would recommend a firebox for your passport, birth certificate, etc. anyway.

• Like 1

A strategically placed and hidden GoPro should give you all the evidence you need to petition the landlord to have him removed from the premises, or involve the LEO's as appropriate. If he's stealing your meds, he's likely doing other nefarious acts. Get him gone, whatever it takes. If it's easy for you to exit, do that instead, but still pursue ramifications of theft, since you're damaged from it, both monetarily and relevant to your medication regime.

• Author

Here's the thing. My room mate and I have been really good friends since 7th grade. We have lived together the last 4 years (Little at my moms, last 2 years at our apartment)

That being said, this wouldn't have to be a kicking him out kind of ordeal. I'd just have to express my concerns and make demands for change, like I have in several cases before, and eventually he gets the message and corrects whatever problem needs to be corrected.

I could ask to borrow my friends recently purchased GoPro, but he is other piece of our three muskateers puzzle. He is always with us, so he is going to ask what I need it for. When I tell him its going to get back to the room mate.

I have been hiding the medication. The problem is since we are almost always in my room hanging out, I have to actually get up and grab it. I keep it in my closet but I thought it would be enough that he never saw WHERE in my closet, but I guess not.

From now on I'm going to start counting (going to have to actually write that one down, since the amnesia can mess with that, another issue that makes this case difficult.) I'm going to count it, keep the stash some where hidden away, and probably just keep an empty pill bottle on my desk that I'll put one inside of in the morning, and take that at night so he does not see me accessing my stash ( 1 pill would be pretty obvious if it was missing ) and then replace it in the morning, rinse repeat.

I have been hiding the medication. The problem is since we are almost always in my room hanging out, I have to actually get up and grab it. I keep it in my closet but I thought it would be enough that he never saw WHERE in my closet, but I guess not.

From now on I'm going to start counting (going to have to actually write that one down, since the amnesia can mess with that, another issue that makes this case difficult.) I'm going to count it, keep the stash some where hidden away, and probably just keep an empty pill bottle on my desk that I'll put one inside of in the morning, and take that at night so he does not see me accessing my stash ( 1 pill would be pretty obvious if it was missing ) and then replace it in the morning, rinse repeat.

Do you ever have a hard time remembering if you had already taken your dose for the day? Sometimes taking a medication on a regular basis makes it second nature and the person doesn't remember taking it, kinda like "did I remember to turn off the coffee maker?" type of forgetfulness.

Either way, I would lock up the main bottle. That way you know you are the only one accessing it. Like you said, if one pill goes missing then it's obvious what's going on.

Writing down your numbers can be done with a calendar. If you use that feature on your phone or just have a calendar in your room. Just write down how many were left in the bottle every night.

• Author
Do you ever have a hard time remembering if you had already taken your dose for the day? Sometimes taking a medication on a regular basis makes it second nature and the person doesn't remember taking it, kinda like "did I remember to turn off the coffee maker?" type of forgetfulness.

Either way, I would lock up the main bottle. That way you know you are the only one accessing it. Like you said, if one pill goes missing then it's obvious what's going on.

Writing down your numbers can be done with a calendar. If you use that feature on your phone or just have a calendar in your room. Just write down how many were left in the bottle every night.

This is pretty much what I was going to do.

There have been one or two occasions over the years when I have taken it and forgotten if I had taken it or not. I usually wait about 20 minutes before I'll take another because by that time it will have kicked in, and I KNOW when that stuff starts working. It's very apparent.