Not too keen on our new friends!

Chickadee11

Chickadee11

We went to my a New Year's Eve party thrown by my boss last year. DH ended up meeting a guy who freelances for the company and they hit it off. I should have known what direction this was going that night as this guy's wife drank too much and ended up getting unintelligible and throwing up outside at the end of the night. Well those two ended up chatting with each other a few times and then we met him (wife was home with their daughter) for the Super Bowl at a pub. It was fun and he seemed like a nice guy. However, like everyone else in Seattle (except for me it seems) he is all into smoking pot. Any time a break came on he and DH would go outside and smoke. I hate the fact that DH smokes it but there's nothing I can do about it. Then about April we all meet up and go out for the night. The guy's wife is there and she just seems like a major airhead. She's about 10 years younger than me and we have nothing to talk about. They both love to talk about getting high and drunk and how she can never get out of the house because of their 3 year old. The more I hear them talk about her the more it seems like she is a burden more than anything. Several times during the night all 3 of them go outside and smoke and leave me to sit alone. She smokes too much and drinks too much and she is just unintelligible. Then a few weeks later DH invites them over for a cookout. They come and bring the daughter. The wife seems totally unresponsive to her all night and basically seems annoyed by her. Anytime the girl acts up a little bit one of them will say "Do you want to go sit out in the car? or "Do you want me to get a wooden spoon and paddle you?" Then she is sitting in the house watching a movie we put on for her while they are out back smoking pot! I feel so bad for this little girl.

Then last Friday they all came up with his cousin for the 4th. Well once again it was a big pot smoking fest with the little girl right in the next room. DH is all in party mode as well drinking and smoking. I am really disgusted by the whole thing. Of course I am looked on as a killjoy because I won't participate in the smoking. I can just see everyone getting stupid. The wife seems to revolve her life around getting high. They all ended up spending the night. It got to be almost 1AM and I went to bed while they all stayed up and smoked and drank. She had just gotten back from a trip to Alaska for a month to visit her family. She took her little girl and all she kept saying is "I had to go and chill out there and have my family watch my daughter". It seemed like all she did while there is go and get stoned and drunk while her parents watched the girl. Then she asked for my number so when she can get away some night we can go hang out. I reluctantly gave it to her as she is NOT someone I want to go and hang out with anywhere with. We have nothing in common and she has nothing to talk about other than getting high and drunk. She is 10 years younger than me although she seems way younger.

They are talking about moving out of state at some point and I hope they do as they are not people that I want to hang out with on a continuous basis. I am 42 years old and my life doesn't revolve around drinking and smoking. I don't want to party all the time. I want to go out to a pub in the afternoon, shoot some darts and be home by 7PM. I have no desire to be up partying at 2AM!

• 1 month later...

I can't fathom why someone that young with a little kid wants to hand out with you unless she wants you to come over and watch her kid so she can do something else. Anyway, you need to let your husband know you don't enjoy being with them and just not go. True, he may go out without you and get himself in trouble, but if that's where it's headed, it will get there eventually. If it's not, then no reason to fret.